Is there a startup banner class in Java?

Todd

Hello,

I have created a Java application that takes a bit of time to start
up. I would like to have a startup banner (panel, whatever) likeI
have seen in other applications.

Is there some class that handles this specifically - display and pause
until background activity is completed - or do I need to create one?

Thanks in advance,
Todd

RedGrittyBrick

Todd said:
Hello,

I have created a Java application that takes a bit of time to start
up. I would like to have a startup banner (panel, whatever) likeI
have seen in other applications.

Is there some class that handles this specifically - display and pause
until background activity is completed - or do I need to create one?

Version 1.6 JRE includes a "splash screen" facility which can be invoked
by a command line option to the java command or by specifying it in
your Jar file. I forget the details but I'm sure googling for "java 1.6
splash screen" would get you some relevant results.

For older JRE's there are 3rd party classes you may be able to use
(chack licensing). One example is SPlashWindow by Werner Randelshofer.
Again, google should locate this quite quickly.

Lew

RedGrittyBrick said:
Version 1.6 JRE includes a "splash screen" facility which can be invoked
by a command line option to the java command or by specifying it in
your Jar file. I forget the details but I'm sure googling for "java 1.6
splash screen" would get you some relevant results.

For older JRE's there are 3rd party classes you may be able to use
(chack licensing). One example is SPlashWindow by Werner Randelshofer.
Again, google should locate this quite quickly.

Pretty much the same answers as when this question was first posted.

Wayne

Todd said:
Hello,

I have created a Java application that takes a bit of time to start
up. I would like to have a startup banner (panel, whatever) likeI
have seen in other applications.

Is there some class that handles this specifically - display and pause
until background activity is completed - or do I need to create one?

The swing JFrame supports a "glassPane" that can be used for this purpose.
However as many have already noted the newer JRE supports a command line
arg of "-splash".

-Wayne