C++, SFML, SDL2 - 2D game

Joined
Mar 19, 2023
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Help.

I have a coding project deadline coming up and I bit off more than I can chew for a beginner. I need to make a very simple game in C++ and have been approved to use SFML or SDL2. It only needs to be one level with a Health meter = 3. I need some direction on where I can get some help because I have no idea what I am doing.

Requirements:

Upon startup, a menu screen will be displayed

The menu screen will have, at least:

Title text

‘Options’ label

A ‘Play’ Button

Selecting this will start the game portion of the program

An ‘About’ Button

Selecting this will display background information, rules, and instructions

Rules will include, but are not limited to:

Use of the keyboard to move throughout the level

Avoiding enemy entities to preserve ‘Health’ and survive longer

Collecting positive entities to increase your score

Reaching the end of the level

There will be a ‘Back’ button to take you back to the menu screen

Selecting ‘Play’ will change the screen. This new screen will include but is not limited to:

Textures

A playable character that moves with keyboard input

Objects that collide with the player and objects the player cannot go through

A ‘Score’ graphic that holds and displays a numeric value to track player progress

A ‘Health’ graphic will be displayed

At least three primary user input keys, by use of the keyboard, will move the character in the window:

A user input of either the up-arrow or the ‘W’ key will perform a jump animation.

A user input of either the right arrow or the ‘D’ key will move the character to the right.

A user input of either the left arrow or the ‘A’ key will move the character to the left.

Health function: The character will have a ‘Health’ function that terminates the game portion of the program when it reaches 0.

Gravity function: If there is no texture collision with the bottom of the character (feet on the ground), then the character will move downward/fall until colliding with another texture, or until the ‘Health’ vector equals 0 (terminating the game portion of the program).

There will be entities that when colliding with the character result in a decrease in the ‘Health’ vector.

Colliding with an enemy entity will display a loss of health in the ‘Health’ graphic on the screen after it takes place.

Each collision will subtract one from the vector for a maximum of three total collisions.

There will be entities that when colliding with the character result in an increase in the game ‘Score’ variable.

This change will be displayed in the ‘Score’ graphic on screen after it takes place.

Each collected entity will increase the game score by 1.

If the ‘Health’ vector is equal to zero, a ‘Game Over’ menu will be displayed. This menu will display (at least):

‘Game Over’ text (or equivalent)

The final ‘Score’

‘Replay Level’

‘Main Menu’ button

Selecting this will take you the startup menu

Reaching the end of the level will display (at least):

Congratulatory text

The final ‘Score’

‘Replay Level’

‘Main Menu’ button

Selecting this will take you the startup menu

No quit button is required. Closing the window will exit the game.