It's ASP.NET, not ASP!

John Saunders

<tongue in="cheek">
I've kept quiet about this for the past few weeks, but I just can't keep
silent any
more.
refer
to "ASP.NET". In the future, would you please try harder to use the correct
terminology:
<ul>
<li>
It's "ASP.NET", not "ASP". "ASP" refers to "ASP v3", which is not the same
thing
at all.
<li>It's "ADO.NET", not "ADO". "ADO" is that recordset thing. "ADO.NET" is
the DataSet
thing. "Data" is better than "Records", right?
<li>It's not "script"! Yes, I know that it lives within &lt;script/&gt;
blocks, but it's code, not "script"! Note that they called it "VB.NET", and
not "VBScript.NET".
</ul>
I'm willing to forgive those of you who call it "ASPNET" because you at
least got
the "NET" part right, and I can forgive the use of InCorrect cAse because,
after
all, VB.NET forgives it and it has that ".NET" thing in its name.
But could we all just try a little harder to get it right? We should be
setting
a better example for the next generation...
</tongue>

Thanks,
John Saunders
johnwsaundersiii at hotmail

:) and, yes, that was a joke! (-:

Scott M.

It's "ASP.NET", not "ASP". "ASP" refers to "ASP v3", which is not the same
thing at all.

Actually it's ASP .NET, not ASP.NET (notice the space before the .NET in the
first version). In fact, any .NET technology should be written with a space
before the .NET. So ADO.NET is really ADO .NET, ASP.NET is really ASP .NET,
Visual Studio.NET is really Visual Studio .NET, etc. Even MS sometimes
goofs on this because it is so easy to forget the space, but technically,
the space should be there.

(FYI) It has become general practice to refer to ASP v. 3.0 as "Classic ASP"
(to help allevitate confusion). Also, the "ASP" in classic ASP is an acronym
that stands for Active Server Pages, in ASP .NET, the ASP doesn't *stand*
for anything at all. The "ASP" in ASP .NET has become the brand name.

Anders Borum

(FYI) It has become general practice to refer to ASP v. 3.0 as "Classic
ASP"
(to help allevitate confusion). Also, the "ASP" in classic ASP is an acronym
that stands for Active Server Pages, in ASP .NET, the ASP doesn't *stand*
for anything at all. The "ASP" in ASP .NET has become the brand name.

Not to mention that ASP also means Application Service Provider in other
parts of the interNET. Then again, I think we all know what people are
talking about when writing ASP in a .NET related newsgroup.

Scott M.

Really true.

Alvin Bruney said:
Scott:
is this really true or are you playing?

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
Scott M. said:
[...]

Here's a quick example: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/

Look at the link on the left nav. pane for Visual Basic .NET.

I'll admit that the (space).NET is not followed all the time and not even by
MS consistently, but it is the "correct" syntax.

Scott M. said:
Really true.

Scott M. said:
[...]

But you do know the difference between a Geek and a Nerd though, right?

A Geek is a Nerd who knows they are a Nerd. A Nerd doesn't know it and
thinks this is the way everyone is.

Ravichandran J.V.

Or, better still, it is like the forg who thinks that the pond that it
lives in is the world...(this is for those who don't know that Greeks
exist in this world or for that matter Nerds!)!.

Come to think of it, Nerds used to be Americans, I am quite sure a Greek
can never be a Nerd unless the Greek is an American, which is not
possible.

with regards,

J.V.Ravichandran
- http://www.geocities.com/
jvravichandran
- http://www.411asp.net/func/search?
qry=Ravichandran+J.V.&cob=aspnetpro
- http://www.southasianoutlook.com
- http://www.MSDNAA.Net
- http://www.csharphelp.com
- http://www.poetry.com/Publications/
display.asp?ID=P3966388&BN=999&PN=2
- Or, just search on "J.V.Ravichandran"
at http://www.Google.com

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

If you mean .NET, as in ASP .NET, it is true. I generally write ASP.NET, as
it is easier to type (and frankly my dear, I don't give a damn) and I
apologize if I piss anyone off in the process.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Scott M. said:
[...]

The reason O'Reilly used it on the cover of their ASP book. ;->

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

That was Greeks, John. ;->

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Kevin Spencer

My heart goes out to you, John, and I agree wholeheartedly.

You have to understand, however, that this is partly Microsoft's fault. By
making some scripting and programming technologies (the whole "VB" family)
so easy to use that you don't necessarliy have to understand programming to
make a program, they have created an entire generation of pseudo-programmers
who are now having to deal with real programming for the first time. While I
actually applaud Microsoft's efforts at making programming less complex,
perhaps they ought to put the same problem-solving skills to work at
figuring out how to bring the "macro designers" up to speed on the real
thing. This would, of course, be a serious challenge, as people are more
easily led down-hill than up!

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

John

Troy suddenly makes so much more sense! ;)

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) said:
That was Greeks, John. ;->

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Guest

I reckon they ought to have yet another name change.

"ASP.Net" should become "The Real Deal"

&

"ASP" should become "huh"

;)

Richard

Good to se MSDN is finally turing over all those .asp pages. For a while
there i was wondering whether Microsoft was going to use it's own
technology.