Documentation for "classic" ASP?

Alan Meyer

I have inherited an application (the original programmers have
moved on) that I have to support written ten years ago in
"classic" ASP. The applications code is written in Visual Basic
6.0. The direction I have been given by my management is:

1. Fix user reported bugs.

2. Otherwise, don't touch it. Don't update it. Don't rewrite
it. Sometime in the next couple of years we'll start a
replacement project.

I have no experience in ASP or .NET. I did write some Visual
Basic 5.0 about 12 or 15 years ago. I've also done lots of Java,
including JSP, which I assume is not entirely dissimilar to JSP.

What I think I need most right now is advice on where to find
useful ASP documentation.

I presume that ASP.NET documentation is not suitable. I'll
really need some documentation for the old, "classic" ASP.

Looking at amazon.com, I see some older ASP books are still in
print, for example:

ASP: Learning by Example, Robert Mellor
Beginning Active Server Pages 3.0, David Buser, et. al.
ASP in a Nutshell, Weissinger

and some others.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Is there a Microsoft reference on the Internet, e.g., in MSDN?
When I search for ASP I get swamped by .NET version information.

Thanks.

Alan

Guest

On 5/4/2010 10:27 PM, Alan Meyer wrote:

Nope.  The "Reference" manual is just a few pages and the link
to more information is broken.  I guess Microsoft wants you to
buy books.  Or maybe they think that anyone still using old
software should just go away and leave them alone.

I'll keep looking.

     Alan

You can still find many sources about old asp programming, e.g. look
at the following tutorial at http://www.learnasp.com/freebook/asp/index.aspx.
I don't know if you need to learn all old things, try to look at the
source code to estimate what kind of changes you need to do to fix a
bug. It could be that you would need to do some minor changes only...

Alan Meyer

You can still find many sources about old asp programming, e.g. look
at the following tutorial at http://www.learnasp.com/freebook/asp/index.aspx.
I don't know if you need to learn all old things, try to look at the
source code to estimate what kind of changes you need to do to fix a
bug. It could be that you would need to do some minor changes only...

That was very useful Alexey.

Thanks.

Alan