Java Logging Question

Arne Vajhøj

I'd suggest those assumptions are wrong. A library has no business
deciding to write logs anywhere on disk at all; it should write logs
where i tell it to, and only when i tell it to. If it has to log and i
haven't told it to write to a file, it should write to syserr.

Isn't that rather pointless when in this Java has been asked
to log to a file?

I am not surprised that logging to a FileHandler actually wants
to write to a file.

Arne

Tom Anderson

Isn't that rather pointless when in this Java has been asked
to log to a file?

I am not surprised that logging to a FileHandler actually wants to write
to a file.

That's a highly reasonable assertion!

What is not reasonable is that it's possible to specify a FileHandler
without specifying a file, and thus that a default directory is required.

tom

Arne Vajhøj

That's a highly reasonable assertion!

What is not reasonable is that it's possible to specify a FileHandler
without specifying a file, and thus that a default directory is required.

I would probably also prefer a big fat exception instead of a default
for that.

But somebody at SUN wanted to be helpful.

Arne