java memory leak in cygwin('s Xwin)?

m4r3ck

Hey,
do you have any experience with running java with forms (GUI) on
cygwin?

WARNING: long post :)

I have a java application (for working (export, import, generate,
delete) with db data stored on a UNIX server) which I've tried to run
in UNIX (telnet). Cygwin serves for transfering of the graphical output
to windows (Xwin utility) When I launch it, everything works fine (i
see emulated java forms ...)

But when I start a project after 50 minutes, maybe hour (of working
over db) I've got a message on the standard output:
"Exit" (which is not my message)
and the application is closed.

I've checked the used memory of the process and its increasing (about
20k) when I send to the GUI output some info about proceeded commits
and additional messages. During a deeper "testing" I've found that when
I proceed {maximalize,minimalize main form} for few times, the used
memory increases about 200k and grows for every iteration of this few
repeating of maximising/minimising

But when I run the appl in a mod, without the GUI it finish
successfully without any error, with constant memory usage. Also
running on M$ Windowz shows not any problems with memory (with and w\o
GUI).

On cygwings faq page is nothing about this and the next step in their
"recommendations" before mailing them was to ask on a forum\group for
java users...

Huh, a long post.
Do you have heard something about that or have some own experience with
this behaviour?

PS: sorry for posting to this group but i haven't found the right with
some living posters

Christopher Benson-Manica

m4r3ck said:
PS: sorry for posting to this group but i haven't found the right with
some living posters

The cygwin mailing list gets more than a thousand messages a month;
have you tried that?

David Lee Lambert

[...] During a deeper "testing" I've found that
when I proceed {maximalize,minimalize main form} for few times, the used
memory increases about 200k and grows for every iteration of this few
repeating of maximising/minimising

This does sound like about the size of a new thread, and you should check
that you've used the API (Swing? AWT?) correctly.
But when I run the appl in a mod, without the GUI it [finishes]
successfully without any error, with constant memory usage. Also running
on M$ Windowz shows not any problems with memory (with and w\o GUI).

On [cygwin']s faq page [there] is nothing about this and the next step
in their "recommendations" before mailing them was to ask on a
forum\group for java users...

I would suggest seeing if this problem appears with another X server,
such as Xvnc or the console of whatever OS you're running. Also, what
version of the JRE are you using to run your Java code? Have you tried a
different one?