Java slow ?

Roedy Green

Perhaps the vanguard of a mass migration?

AT some point the desire for decent on demand digital video is going
to start a mass migration to fibre. We will get instant downloads as a
side effect.

Andrew Thompson

However, I still don't see picons or ways of giving every person a
visual identity.

Teh.. fussy, fussy..

Still, I suppose I was the one made
the comment about 3rd millennium*, you'd
think 'we have the technology'..

* I like to spell it a different way each
time, since I have no idea how it's spelt.

Andrew Thompson

AT some point the desire for decent on demand digital video is going
to start a mass migration to fibre. We will get instant downloads as a
side effect.

'You make a freeway, they make more cars'

It is a never ending story of usage expanding
to meet the bandwidth availability.

Instant? ..Bah-hum-bug!

Tony Morris

If find the one-upmanship games people like to play of trying to prove
someone was an idiot by twisting their words, or making them bow down
and formally admit error somewhat childish. I unsubscribed the Eudora
newsgroup recently because this practice was so widespread. I also
find attribution quibbling pointless. What counts whether something is
true, not who said it, or whether someone in past made a misstatement.

I agree completely, someone might point out someone else's error, someone
takes defence like a child and babbles bullshit all over mine, and everyone
else's, news reader.

Ya gotta admit though, it can be amusing sometimes from the sideline :)
Kinda like the Jerry Springer show and the bunch of clowns that perform
there.

--
Tony Morris
Software Engineer

P.Hill

Andrew said:
[...] 3rd millennium*, you'd
think 'we have the technology'..

* I like to spell it a different way each
time, since I have no idea how it's spelt.

But apparently not spell check technology!
But I see that 40tude has such a feature,
maybe you should try it; I know I could use it
often.

I also notice in this age of open and free software
there are additional dictionaries available linked directly from
the 40tude download page.

-Paul

P.Hill

Andrew said:
It is a never ending story of usage expanding
to meet the bandwidth availability.

Instant? ..Bah-hum-bug!

But a JDK download will be small potatoes compared to
3D, panoramic, high-definition, multi-eyepoint, interactive
.... pornography.

So while the game players and porn viewers
will be pushing usage higher and higher getting a JDK
or even a huge IDE with a built in webserver including documentation
and large examples, will be pretty darn quick. It probably
not unlike the capacity of many home machines for running games, but which are
mostly used for documents, email and trivial spread sheets... and maybe some
porn now and then.

-Paul

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson wrote: .... ...
But a JDK download will be small potatoes compared to
3D, panoramic, high-definition, multi-eyepoint, interactive
... pornography.

I was thinking of people in the remote
areas of of Australia, underdeveloped
areas, Antarctic stations...

As such, I don't much give a toss how
fast the bored rich minority can download
their eye candy.

Dale King

Hello, David Eng!
You said:
Henry <[email protected]> wrote in message
Hi,

[this is not a message to start a flame war]

I often heard that Java is slow. Does someone is aware of any papers
describing this fact ?

Java is slower than C/C++ and it is also faster. It is easy to
find some feature which goes one way or the other. Depending on
your goal, you can find evidence to support your conclusion.

It is like one of my favorite sayings: Statistics are often used
as a drunken man uses a lamp post, for support rather than
illumination.

One cannot say either is always faster than the other. Clearly
they are both in the same ballpark and any differences are not
significant for most applications.
The papers claim the Java is as fast as C++ is fundamentally false.
The slowness of Java is not cause by the same language feature
comparing with C++. It is because of lacking of flexibility Java has.
I will give you two examples to explain it.

Java and C++ can create objects in the heap. If you compare this
feature between Java and C++, no doubt that the speed is about the
same. However, C++ can allow you to create object in stack. In this
case, object creation is fast than in the heap. Most papers don't do
this kind of comparison. But in real world, the lack of flexibility
makes Java slower.

You obviously have never read about the generational garbage
collector used in modern VM's. Objects in Java are actually
allocated on a stack called the nursery. However it is not freed
per method call. It is freed when the nursery fills up, it is
freed in one fell swoop. Any objects that are still reachable are
then copied to the heap. For short-lived objects (which is
usuallythe most common case) this can actually be faster than
C/C++ and be much safer without the possibility of dangling
pointers.