Java Sound API adjust playback speed?

Mike

In Windows media/other audio apps you can adjust the playback speed of
an audio file while MAINTAINING pitch.

Was wondering how to do this with java sound.

found:
SampleRateControl

by searching, but as far as I can understand, this will only alter the
PITCH and SPEED at the same time. Just want to control speed,
maintain PITCH.

Thank you

Boudewijn Dijkstra

Mike said:
In Windows media/other audio apps you can adjust the playback speed of
an audio file while MAINTAINING pitch.

Was wondering how to do this with java sound.

found:
SampleRateControl

by searching, but as far as I can understand, this will only alter the
PITCH and SPEED at the same time. Just want to control speed,
maintain PITCH.

I'm afraid you'll have to this manually by calculating a band shift in the
frequency domain after increasing the speed+pitch.

Mike

Boudewijn Dijkstra said:
I'm afraid you'll have to this manually by calculating a band shift in the
frequency domain after increasing the speed+pitch.

Do you have any pointers/links for guidelines on this process?
Haven't been able to find anything searching so far on it. If not,
thanks for the help anyway.

Boudewijn Dijkstra

Mike said:
Do you have any pointers/links for guidelines on this process?
Haven't been able to find anything searching so far on it. If not,
thanks for the help anyway.

1. resample to the desired speed (including the pitch-altering side-effects)
2. FFT (enter the frequency domain)
3. resample to the correct shift (removing the side-effects)
4. reverse FFT (leave the frequency domain)

Please be aware that I haven't tried this myself nor do I know whether 'the
professionals' do it this way. But it will definately work, if executed
correctly. Although I cannot guarantee good sound quality for other speed
changes than those by a factor of a whole power of two.

In short, I'd like to see what you make of it.

Mike

In Windows media/other audio apps you can adjust the playback speed of
an audio file while MAINTAINING pitch.

Was wondering how to do this with java sound.

found:
SampleRateControl

by searching, but as far as I can understand, this will only alter the
PITCH and SPEED at the same time. Just want to control speed,
maintain PITCH.

Thank you

Thanks for helping, and pitching in the info. It's going to be
awhile, but will post back here for the occasional bump(hopefully more
input) and let you know how it worked out.