    - = -
    http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

    , Jun 13, 2014

  2. Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 00:35:46 +0000 (UTC),
    wrote, quoted or indirectly
    quoted someone who said :

    >A lot of public terminals do not allow updating software, so when someone
    >says ok to updating java, the terminal is stuck in java update mode and will
    >not run the java software. By engaging in such brain-dead upgrade-treadmill
    >behavior, java is committing suicide, because te biggest reason people use
    >java is on the road and across platforms.

    The problem to me sounds like the people who manage these public
    terminals. They should install updates and turn off any automatic
    updates or checks.

    You have to have updates every few months now purely to keep up with
    patching security breaches. The only way I could see to fix that
    would be a major redesign of CPUs to make security breaches impossible
    by keeping each app in an air tight compartment.

    The other feature of such a CPU would be to make it possible for code
    to run inside a "dark room" where no one could monitor it. This would
    be used to stop piracy.

    Part of their problem is just knowing about updates. I wrote Vercheck
    to monitor a set a programs and warn you whenever there are updates. I
    currently monitor 109 programs. See
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/utilities.html
    In former times, people who craved absolute power became gangsters.
    Today, they become computer programmers.

    Roedy Green, Jun 13, 2014

  3. Roedy Green Guest

    quoted someone who said :

    >I also wish java would push to have working versions on all versions
    >of android and linux so we can use java software instead of
    >masturbate computers.

    I have thought about it for several minutes, but that makes no sense.
    I see no connection whatsoever between having recent versions of
    software and how frequently my computers masturbate. Is this
    something you want to encourage or discourage?

    Roedy Green, Jun 13, 2014
  4. Silvio Guest

    On 06/13/2014 02:35 AM, wrote:
    > A lot of public terminals do not allow updating software, so when someone
    > says ok to updating java, the terminal is stuck in java update mode and will
    > not run the java software. By engaging in such brain-dead upgrade-treadmill
    > behavior, java is committing suicide, because te biggest reason people use
    > java is on the road and across platforms.
    >

    > I also wish java would push to have working versions on all versions
    > of android and linux so we can use java software instead of
    > masturbate computers.
    >
    > - = -
    > Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist
    > http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
    > ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---
    > [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
    > [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

    Now why would anyone have Java installed on a public terminal? That
    makes no sense to me at all. Anyone who targets the general public does
    not expect them to have Java installed.

    Silvio, Jun 13, 2014