Java update blocks

vjp2.at

A lot of public terminals do not allow updating software, so when someone
says ok to updating java, the terminal is stuck in java update mode and will
not run the java software. By engaging in such brain-dead upgrade-treadmill
behavior, java is committing suicide, because te biggest reason people use
java is on the road and across platforms.

I also wish java would push to have working versions on all versions
of android and linux so we can use java software instead of
masturbate computers.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Roedy Green

A lot of public terminals do not allow updating software, so when someone
says ok to updating java, the terminal is stuck in java update mode and will
not run the java software. By engaging in such brain-dead upgrade-treadmill
behavior, java is committing suicide, because te biggest reason people use
java is on the road and across platforms.

The problem to me sounds like the people who manage these public
terminals. They should install updates and turn off any automatic
updates or checks.

You have to have updates every few months now purely to keep up with
patching security breaches. The only way I could see to fix that
would be a major redesign of CPUs to make security breaches impossible
by keeping each app in an air tight compartment.

The other feature of such a CPU would be to make it possible for code
to run inside a "dark room" where no one could monitor it. This would
be used to stop piracy.

Part of their problem is just knowing about updates. I wrote Vercheck
to monitor a set a programs and warn you whenever there are updates. I
currently monitor 109 programs. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/utilities.html

Roedy Green

I also wish java would push to have working versions on all versions
of android and linux so we can use java software instead of
masturbate computers.

I have thought about it for several minutes, but that makes no sense.
I see no connection whatsoever between having recent versions of
software and how frequently my computers masturbate. Is this
something you want to encourage or discourage?

Silvio

A lot of public terminals do not allow updating software, so when someone
says ok to updating java, the terminal is stuck in java update mode and will
not run the java software. By engaging in such brain-dead upgrade-treadmill
behavior, java is committing suicide, because te biggest reason people use
java is on the road and across platforms.

I also wish java would push to have working versions on all versions
of android and linux so we can use java software instead of
masturbate computers.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Now why would anyone have Java installed on a public terminal? That
makes no sense to me at all. Anyone who targets the general public does
not expect them to have Java installed.