Javascript book (for programmer)

przemas_r

Hi!

I've been recently searching for a book on javascript. There are many
books dedicated to advanced javascript programmers (mainly reference
material or cookbooks) and some which would interest total beginners
(the ones who never programmed at all) - most of these addressed to
beginners assume total lack of knowledge in computer space. I was
especially disappointed with Beginning Javascript (Wrox Press).

I know several programming languages (C, C++ among them) and I'm looking
for a book for programmer, which would teach me javascript basics in
fast way.

P.Rozycki

P.S. Sorry for my English (I'm not the native speaker)

Douglas Crockford

I've been recently searching for a book on javascript. There are many
books dedicated to advanced javascript programmers (mainly reference
material or cookbooks) and some which would interest total beginners
(the ones who never programmed at all) - most of these addressed to
beginners assume total lack of knowledge in computer space. I was
especially disappointed with Beginning Javascript (Wrox Press).

I know several programming languages (C, C++ among them) and I'm looking
for a book for programmer, which would teach me javascript basics in
fast way.

You might start with this survey. It may help you to apply what you
already know to JavaScript: http://www.crockford.com/javascript/survey.html

Ivan Marsh

Hi!

I've been recently searching for a book on javascript. There are many
books dedicated to advanced javascript programmers (mainly reference
material or cookbooks) and some which would interest total beginners (the
ones who never programmed at all) - most of these addressed to beginners
assume total lack of knowledge in computer space. I was especially
disappointed with Beginning Javascript (Wrox Press).

I know several programming languages (C, C++ among them) and I'm looking
for a book for programmer, which would teach me javascript basics in fast
way.

JavaScript The Definitive Reference, O'Reilly ISBN: 1-56592-392-8
(I've got an old version)

Brief descriptions and language reference.

Joakim Braun

Hi!

I've been recently searching for a book on javascript.
I know several programming languages (C, C++ among them) and I'm looking
for a book for programmer, which would teach me javascript basics in
fast way.

Allow me to plug "Dynamic HTML" by Danny Goodman (O'Reilly). It's one of the
most useful reference books I've ever seen and covers JS, (D)HTML, DOM and
CSS in a well organized manner with programmer-friendly conciseness. It's
not a tutorial, and doesn't dig too deeply into more arcane aspects of JS
(and doesn't come with a CD). It will give you a very good overview of Web
techniques, though, and of how to tie them together with JS.

Joakim Braun

przemas_r

Thanks for the answer (and thanks to Ivan and Douglas too).

Do you have any experience with Goodman's Javascript: Bible - i saw it
on bookshelf in the library and skimmed through the first part (3
chapters). As far as i can see from table of contents, the whole second
part 2 (encontained on about 100 pages) gives some grounding in
javascript basics.
Has anyone read this book? Does reading the second part suffice to start
programming in javascript? Or isn't it possible to code without reading
further chapters (about DOM).

P.Rozycki

Douglas Crockford

Do you have any experience with Goodman's Javascript: Bible - i saw it
on bookshelf in the library and skimmed through the first part (3
chapters). As far as i can see from table of contents, the whole second
part 2 (encontained on about 100 pages) gives some grounding in
javascript basics.
Has anyone read this book? Does reading the second part suffice to start
programming in javascript? Or isn't it possible to code without reading
further chapters (about DOM).

I don't like Goodman's Javascript: Bible. I think his Dynamic HTML is
much better. Flanagan's Definitive Guide is perhaps the best.

http://www.crockford.com/javascript/javascript.html

przemas_r

Hmm, I've already read about 80 pages of Javascript Beginning, about 70
pages of Javascript: Bible. I don't think I will undertake switching for
the third time :).

On the other side, there are still tens (or hundreds) of pages waiting.
At least I'll skim through Definitive Guide table of contents. Perhaps
there are some vivid essential differences (in comparition to JS:Bible).

(Third time lucky?)

Howard Kaikow

I have the 3rd edition of David Flanagan's book. It is quite good.
The 4th edition looks even better, but I've not yet decided whether I need
to get the 4th edition, as I have the 3rd.
It's either buy the book or get about seventy 8 ounce yogurts.

George Hester

Hmm, I've already read about 80 pages of Javascript Beginning, about 70
pages of Javascript: Bible. I don't think I will undertake switching for
the third time :).

On the other side, there are still tens (or hundreds) of pages waiting.
At least I'll skim through Definitive Guide table of contents. Perhaps
there are some vivid essential differences (in comparition to JS:Bible).

(Third time lucky?)

You know someting I like "Instant JavaScript" from WROX by Nigel McFarlane.
It's old (1997) I know. But it is well put together and has lot's of interesting stuff not seen anywhere else.
And yes Danny Goodman's book is good too. The other one the one that is considered the be all and end all
of JavaScript programing Flanagan's book "JavaScript: The Definitive Guide" well for a beginner it's not all that
good. The one's above I think are better for that audience but it does have usefulness. I get most of mine
off eBay. Much cheaper especially for the WROX books which nornmally suck but hey, $1.00 ain't bad even if
the examples don't work.

Good lick with you to find that right one.