Javascript News Scroller

Mars

I'm looking for a javascipt vertical news scroller that will scroll
from the bottom of the page to the top showing many new items.

Would really appreciate some help. The scroller I'm using at the
moment only shows one news item at a time, can anyone suggest code I
could insert to show many news items?

Mars

Evertjan.

Mars wrote on 17 mei 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
I'm looking for a javascipt vertical news scroller that will scroll
from the bottom of the page to the top showing many new items.

Would really appreciate some help. The scroller I'm using at the
moment only shows one news item at a time, can anyone suggest code I
could insert to show many news items?

Why use js?

<marquee
direction='up'
scrollamount='2'>
blah 1<br>
blah 2<br>
blah 3<br>
blah 4
</marquee>

Evertjan.

Gérard Talbot wrote on 17 mei 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
vertjan. wrote :

One possible reason would be because <marquee> is not valid HTML 4.01.

See Randy's answer
Another reason is that <marquee> is not accessible: the user can not
control it, can not make it stop, slow down, restart, etc.

cannot?

<marquee id='m'
style='border:red dotted 4px;width:200px;'
direction='up'
scrollamount='2'>
blah 1<br>
blah 2<br>
blah 3<br>
blah 4
</marquee>

<script type='text/javascript'>

var m = document.getElementById('m')
m.direction = 'down'
m.scrollAmount = '20'
m.height = '120'

</script>

<button
onclick='m.stop();'>
Stop
</button>

<button onclick='m.start();'>
Start
</button>

Evertjan.

Gérard Talbot wrote on 18 mei 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
Yes, it can be controlled (stop, slow down, restart,etc) by the user
with javascript. BTW, you incidentally answered your own question: why
use js? For normal basic accessibility and usability reasons.

No, you are mixing the Qs up, Gérard.

A JS scroller was asked for in the OQ, I suggested <marquee> which is not a
js scroller, but can be controlled by js, which had been negated by you.

ASM

Evertjan. a écrit :
Mars wrote on 17 mei 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
<marquee
direction='up'
scrollamount='2'>
blah 1<br>
blah 2<br>
blah 3<br>
blah 4
</marquee>

Too much ! ! That works in my FF, Safari and Opera !
Thought it was IE slang !

The tag 'marquee' is part of HTML 4 ?

Evertjan.

ASM wrote on 19 mei 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
Evertjan. a ‚crit :

Too much ! ! That works in my FF, Safari and Opera !
Thought it was IE slang !

The tag 'marquee' is part of HTML 4 ?

It was said in this thread it is not.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating however.

-Lost

Evertjan. said:
ASM wrote on 19 mei 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

It was said in this thread it is not.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating however.

This strikes me as really odd. In Firefox 1.5.0.11 the marquee tag
malfunctions if JavaScript is not enabled.

Anyone else see this in Firefox?

-Lost

Evertjan. said:
Gérard Talbot wrote on 17 mei 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

See Randy's answer

cannot?

<marquee id='m'
style='border:red dotted 4px;width:200px;'
direction='up'
scrollamount='2'>
blah 1<br>
blah 2<br>
blah 3<br>
blah 4
</marquee>

<script type='text/javascript'>

var m = document.getElementById('m')
m.direction = 'down'
m.scrollAmount = '20'
m.height = '120'

In what browser, UA, or viewing device were you able to set height or
width? I get unable to set a getter.

Evertjan.

-Lost wrote on 20 mei 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
In what browser, UA, or viewing device were you able to set height or
width?
IE7

I get unable to set a getter.

Are you perhaps unable to get a setter?