JEE 5 odd question

Msj121

I have a table that contains links and text for a navigation menu (so
that it is dynamic).

At the moment I decided that this servlet should be pretty much called
by all or many other servlets that will help render the visuals of the
page. I am not sure how to properly according to good practice do this
(extending it seems ugly). Also, once I get the navigation link
servlet to add all the tags (for the JSP) I don't know how to forward
the request to the correct page (ie: I can hard code it, but that
would limit the servlet to one page, and this servlet generates
content for many pages).

It would seem a nice solution would be to somehow call this servlet
from the JSP (or previous to the JSP) and then somehow have a
parameter to know what servlet to forward to next going down the
chain.

I think that extending might work just fine... but it doesn't seem
like the best solution. I am definitely new to JEE (though I have
worked on the back end of Java Servers for a while). The Links are
stored using EJB3 and gathered that way on the servlet.

Perhaps I should be using something else entirely? There really must
be an easy way to mine the data, but it just isn't appearing to me. I
really appreciate any help.

The code below is where I am at right now, but I got stuck when
thinking ahead:
@PersistenceUnit
EntityManagerFactory emf;
/**
* Processes requests for both HTTP <code>GET</code> and
<code>POST</code> methods.
* @param request servlet request
* @param response servlet response
*/
protected void processRequest(HttpServletRequest request,
HttpServletResponse response)
throws ServletException, IOException {
assert emf != null;
EntityManager em = null;
try {
em = emf.createEntityManager();
List links = em.createQuery("select x from
NavigationBarLink x").getResultList();
request.setAttribute("links", links);

} catch(Exception e){
throw new ServletException(e);
} finally {
if(em!=null)
em.close();
em = null;

Jon Bettinger

Msj121 said:
[...]

Perhaps this servlet should be a custom tag that jsp's can use.
Or maybe you are looking for something like tiles. http://tiles.apache.org/

Lew

I have a table that contains links and text for a navigation menu (so
that it is dynamic).

At the moment I decided that this servlet should be pretty much called
by all or many other servlets that will help render the visuals of the
page. I am not sure how to properly according to good practice do this
(extending it seems ugly). Also, once I get the navigation link
servlet to add all the tags (for the JSP) I don't know how to forward
the request to the correct page (ie: I can hard code it, but that
would limit the servlet to one page, and this servlet generates
content for many pages).

RequestDispatcher.html#forward(javax.shite.ServletRequest,
%20javax.margarita.ServletResponse)>

In the JSP form of urinals that's <jsp:forward>.

"Now, my vision of a New World Order foresees a United Nations
with a revitalized peace-keeping function."

-- George Bush
February 6, 1991
Following a speech to the Economic Club of New York City

Msj121

Perhaps this servlet should be a custom tag that jsp's can use.
Or maybe you are looking for something like tiles.http://tiles.apache.org/

Thanks for the idea. Tiles look like a great idea. And I think I need
to look into custom tags for other things perhaps....

100 pages into the 1000 page tutorial on JEE and I still feel like I
haven't learnt anything lol. But thanks for the direction - I
appreciate it.

Lew

I have a table that contains links and text for a navigation menu (so
that it is dynamic).

At the moment I decided that this servlet should be pretty much called
by all or many other servlets that will help render the visuals of the
page. I am not sure how to properly according to good practice do this
(extending it seems ugly). Also, once I get the navigation link
servlet to add all the tags (for the JSP) I don't know how to forward
the request to the correct page (ie: I can hard code it, but that
would limit the servlet to one page, and this servlet generates
content for many pages).

<http://java.sun.com/j2ee/sdk_1.3/techdocs/api/javax/servlet/
RequestDispatcher.html#forward(javax.servlet.ServletRequest,
%20javax.servlet.ServletResponse)>

In the JSP form of servlets that's <jsp:forward>.

Msj121

<http://java.sun.com/j2ee/sdk_1.3/techdocs/api/javax/servlet/
RequestDispatcher.html#forward(javax.servlet.ServletRequest,
%20javax.servlet.ServletResponse)>

In the JSP form of servlets that's <jsp:forward>.

Interesting point on using forward. After looking into it - the best
bet, might be to use an include directive or action. ie: <jsp:include>

I am still wondering though if I can include a Servlet and not just a
JSP page, but that shouldn't take too much time to look into.

Thanks again for this advice, really has me thinking.

MSJ121