Latest Version and who....

Ralph Krausse

What is the latest version of javascript? 1.2? Who manages this?
NetScape? Who comes out with new versions? How does these changes get
into Netscape and Explorer? How can I find what browsers support what
version?

Thanks
Ralph Krausse

www.consiliumsoft.com
Use the START button? Then you need CSFastRunII...
A new kind of application launcher integrated in the taskbar!
ScreenShot - http://www.consiliumsoft.com/ScreenShot.jpg

Martin Honnen

Ralph said:
What is the latest version of javascript? 1.2? Who manages this?
NetScape? Who comes out with new versions? How does these changes get
into Netscape and Explorer? How can I find what browsers support what
version?

The JavaScript version implemented/used in Netscape 6/7 and Mozilla is
JavaScript 1.5, the scripting engine used is a C implementation called
Spidermonkey that is developed by now as a part of the open source
project mozilla.org, see
http://www.mozilla.org/js/
http://www.mozilla.org/js/spidermonkey/
Note that the engine only implements the so called core language as
specified by the ECMAScript edition 3 standard, most objects you use
when scripting HTML pages in a browser are not part of that core
language but are so called host objects provided by the browser's object
model (which by now usually includes the W3C DOM (document object model).
So asking what browsers support what JavaScript version is usually not
what you are looking for, by now IE 5.5/6, Netscape 6/7, Mozilla,
FireFox, Opera 7 all have scripting engines pretty much complying with
the ECMAScript edition 3 standard while their support for the W3C DOM
object model differs, IE has been stagnant for years and implements only
DOM Level 1 while Netscape 7, Mozilla, Opera 7 have varying support for
the W3C DOM Level 2 modules with Mozilla leading for some time but Opera
catching up, in particular when Opera 7.60 comes out there will be an
Opera version that for the first time implements DOM modules like DOM
Level 3 Load and Save that Mozilla doesn't implement.

See also the FAQ:
http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ2_6
http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ2_8