limiting the amount of resources used by perl

Guest

Is there way to limit the amount of resources/ram/cpu used by a perl
script? so that the script still runs, but does not exceed certain limits?

xhoster

Nospam said:
Is there way to limit the amount of resources/ram/cpu used by a perl
script?

Your OS should provide facilities for this. Perl may have facilities for
negotiating this with the OS, but they would depend on the OS.
so that the script still runs, but does not exceed certain
limits?

In the case of ram, what would you have it do? In very specific cases,
there are options. But in a general purpose language not designed for only
those specific cases, what exactly do you do when you ask for more memory
and are told you can't have any more?

Xho

Bart Van der Donck

Nospam said:
Is there way to limit the amount of resources/ram/cpu used by
a perl script? so that the script still runs, but does not exceed
certain limits?

Under unix, you might be interested in the nice-command (see "man
nice"). Personally I use it only for cronjobs.

--
Bart

"It is necessary for technical reasons that these nuclear warheads are
positioned with the TOP at the BOTTOM and with the BOTTOM at the TOP.
In order that there may be no doubt as to which is the TOP and which
is the BOTTOM, it shall be seen that the BOTTOM of each nuclear
warhead has been labeled with the word TOP."
(Instructions issued by the British Admiralty, 1950's)

Jens Thoms Toerring

Under unix, you might be interested in the nice-command (see "man
nice"). Personally I use it only for cronjobs.

If the OP is using Unix he might also be interested in the
ulimit or limit (depending on the shell he's using) command.
But since he seems to be posting from a Windows machine this
as well could be completely uninteresting for him...

Regards, Jens