Linq to SQL with ASP.NET Tutorial

Lloyd Sheen

I am looking to find a tutorial which will explain the steps to replicate
the following WinForms behaviour in ASP.NET.

WinForms:

A DataGridView holds a set of Linq To SQL objects, which can be edited.
When edits are complete a button click will allow the user to comit the
edits or cancel the edits (using
linqitems.Refresh(RefreshMode.OverwriteCurrentValues,
linqitems.GetChangeSet.Updates)).

So in ASP.NET I would load a page with a ??? (which would be a grid-like
object) to display the items and allow for edits. Once the edits are
complete a button to comit the edits (using
linqitems.SubmitChanges(ConflictMode.FailOnFirstConflict)).

I have found tutorials which show how to use Linq To SQL for editing etc but
they are not really tied into ASP as they just use ASP as the platform for
button clicks etc.

Any ideas,
Thanks

Lloyd Sheen

bruce barker

first linq to sql is dead, use linq to the entity framework instead.
second the asp.net is stateless, so a different model from winforms must
be used. you will have to decide how to persist your objects and edits
between page flips. there are several books on writing database
applications.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Lloyd Sheen

bruce barker said:
first linq to sql is dead, use linq to the entity framework instead.
second the asp.net is stateless, so a different model from winforms must
be used. you will have to decide how to persist your objects and edits
between page flips. there are several books on writing database
applications.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Bruce,
Just a note about the death of Linq To SQL.

http://visualstudiomagazine.com/blogs/weblog.aspx?blog=2990

Also I know how to use ASP and other technologies to do data
applications. I am trying to find anything that would help in using LTS.

Thanks,
LS