LoadLibrary failing

Michael Tissington

I'm using LoadLibrary to import a DLL in a asp.net application.

The dll was written in c++ and is located in the bin folder

I have been testing the website on my development machine and our inhouse
webserver running IIS 5.1 and it works correctly.

I'm specifing a real path to LoadLibrary of the form C:\domains\...\file.dll
(obtained from MapPath)

I have now moved the website to a hosted environment and LoadLibrary is
returning an error of AccessDeined when I try to load it.

The hosting company (hoostedasp.net) are happy to work with me to resolve
this but I don't have a clue what I'm looking for because the ASP.NET dll in
the bin folder can be executed without any problems.

Any ideas please ?

Bruce Barker

have your isp check the trust level set in machine config. you need full
trust, which they generally turn off.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Bruce's informative inputs.

Hi Michael,

As Bruce has mentioned, the Trust Level is the potential cause of the
problem since only "Full" trust level for ASP.NET allow unmanaged code
execution. And generally public web hosts won't provide this trust level.
You can ask for your web host to confirm this. for detailed reference on
ASP.NET trust level setting, you can follow the following msdn tech article:

#Using Code Access Security with ASP.NET
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/secmod/html/secmod82.asp?frame=true

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Bruce Barker" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: LoadLibrary failing
| Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:58:19 -0700
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.i
nterop

| have your isp check the trust level set in machine config. you need full
| trust, which they generally turn off.
|
| -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
|

| | > I'm using LoadLibrary to import a DLL in a asp.net application.
| >
| > The dll was written in c++ and is located in the bin folder
| >
| > I have been testing the website on my development machine and our
inhouse
| > webserver running IIS 5.1 and it works correctly.
| >
| > I'm specifing a real path to LoadLibrary of the form
| > C:\domains\...\file.dll (obtained from MapPath)
| >
| > I have now moved the website to a hosted environment and LoadLibrary is
| > returning an error of AccessDeined when I try to load it.
| >
| > The hosting company (hoostedasp.net) are happy to work with me to
resolve
| > this but I don't have a clue what I'm looking for because the ASP.NET
dll
| > in the bin folder can be executed without any problems.
| >
| > Any ideas please ?
| >
| > --
| > Michael Tissington
| > http://www.oaklodge.com
| > http://www.tabtag.com

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Michael,

How are you doing on this issue, have you got any progress with the WEB
host? If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post here.
Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:43:47 GMT
| Subject: Re: LoadLibrary failing
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thanks for Bruce's informative inputs.
|
| Hi Michael,
|
| As Bruce has mentioned, the Trust Level is the potential cause of the
| problem since only "Full" trust level for ASP.NET allow unmanaged code
| execution. And generally public web hosts won't provide this trust level.
| You can ask for your web host to confirm this. for detailed reference on
| ASP.NET trust level setting, you can follow the following msdn tech
article:

| #Using Code Access Security with ASP.NET

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/secmod/html/secmod82.asp?frame=true

| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|
| --------------------
| | From: "Bruce Barker" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: LoadLibrary failing
| | Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:58:19 -0700

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.i
| nterop
| |
| | have your isp check the trust level set in machine config. you need
full
| | trust, which they generally turn off.
| |
| | -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
| |
| |
| |

| | > The dll was written in c++ and is located in the bin folder
| | >
| | > I have been testing the website on my development machine and our
| inhouse
| | > webserver running IIS 5.1 and it works correctly.
| | >
| | > I'm specifing a real path to LoadLibrary of the form
| | > C:\domains\...\file.dll (obtained from MapPath)
| | >
| | > I have now moved the website to a hosted environment and LoadLibrary
is
| | > returning an error of AccessDeined when I try to load it.
| | >
| | > The hosting company (hoostedasp.net) are happy to work with me to
| resolve
| | > this but I don't have a clue what I'm looking for because the ASP.NET
| dll
| | > in the bin folder can be executed without any problems.
| | >
| | > Any ideas please ?
| | >
| | > --
| | > Michael Tissington
| | > http://www.oaklodge.com