LoadViewState datagrid

Nergal

LoadViewState is taking a long time on a page, the bigger the dataset the
longer the wait and also it takes longer on remote server than local host.

EnableViewState is FALSE and when I examine the viewstate size for the
datagrid in trace it is ZERO.

But the view state string is very long :|

What the heck is going on here ? ViewState gurus neeeded.

TIA

Saravana

By disabling viewstate in datagrid doesnt reduce the size of viewstate to
zero. Other controls in the page will have view state enabled, so it will
have viewstate of those controls. If you disable viewstate at page level
also, you will have viewstate string in the page but with only few
characters length. If you dont want that also, you need to remove form tag
with runat=server from your page.

Nergal

I appreciate your point but I am not worried about a few things being in
view state, in fact it's essential.

But this datagrid is causing LoadViewState to take 10-20 SECONDS and that
really is a problem and I can't understand why its doing it.

Cheers.

Eliyahu Goldin

I think Saravana's point is you should make sure no other controls are
contributing significantly to your viewstate.

Eliyahu

Nergal

No, nothing out of the ordinary.

I think Saravana's point is you should make sure no other controls are
contributing significantly to your viewstate.

Eliyahu

Bliss

You stated "But the view state string is very long :|" This means
something is being stored in it if you are convinced it is not the
datagrid pull it off the page and see what happens.

Sorry that does not much help.