Login Control/Validation Summary within Content Placeholder

ilockett

The background:
I have a web app with a simple master page that contains just one
content placeholder.

I have created a web form that then uses this master page. Within the
content placeholder, I have placed a Login control (Login1) and a
ValidationSummary control.

I have set the ValidationSummary's ValidationGroup property equal to
"Login1".

The problem:
The validation summary is not firing when a login textbox is left
blank.

What I have found:
I put the Login control and ValidationSummary control in a separate
page that uses no masterpage/content placeholders - and it works fine.
So it seems the issue begins with the master page/content involvement.

I looked at the HTML source on both pages and this throws up what I
think is causing the problem - but I'm not sure how to resolve it!

In the non-master page file, you get the following markup:

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
var Login1_UserNameRequired = document.all ?
document.all["Login1_UserNameRequired"] :
document.getElementById("Login1_UserNameRequired");
Login1_UserNameRequired.controltovalidate = "Login1_UserName";
Login1_UserNameRequired.errormessage = "User Name is required.";
Login1_UserNameRequired.validationGroup = "Login1";
Login1_UserNameRequired.evaluationfunction =
"RequiredFieldValidatorEvaluateIsValid";
Login1_UserNameRequired.initialvalue = "";
var Login1_PasswordRequired = document.all ?
document.all["Login1_PasswordRequired"] :
document.getElementById("Login1_PasswordRequired");
Login1_PasswordRequired.controltovalidate = "Login1_Password";
Login1_PasswordRequired.errormessage = "Password is required.";
Login1_PasswordRequired.validationGroup = "Login1";
Login1_PasswordRequired.evaluationfunction =
"RequiredFieldValidatorEvaluateIsValid";
Login1_PasswordRequired.initialvalue = "";
var ValidationSummary1 = document.all ?
document.all["ValidationSummary1"] :
document.getElementById("ValidationSummary1");
ValidationSummary1.validationGroup = "Login1";
// -->
</script>

However, when I use the master page code, you get:

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
var ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired = document.all ?
document.all["ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired"] :
document.getElementById("ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired");
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired.controltovalidate =
"ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserName";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired.errormessage = "User
Name is required.";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired.validationGroup =
"ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$Login1";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired.evaluationfunction =
"RequiredFieldValidatorEvaluateIsValid";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired.initialvalue = "";
var ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired = document.all ?
document.all["ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired"] :
document.getElementById("ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired");
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired.controltovalidate =
"ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_Password";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired.errormessage =
"Password is required.";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired.validationGroup =
"ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$Login1";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired.evaluationfunction =
"RequiredFieldValidatorEvaluateIsValid";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired.initialvalue = "";
var ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ValidationSummary1 = document.all ?
document.all["ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ValidationSummary1"] :
document.getElementById("ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ValidationSummary1");
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ValidationSummary1.validationGroup =
"ContentPlaceHolder1.Login1";
// -->
</script>

It seems that the ValidationGroup for the internal controls of the
Login control has been changed from "Login1" to
"ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$Login1" causing a mis-match between the
Login control and ValidationSummary.

Is there a way of rectifying this?

Many thanks in hope of a reply!!

Ian

Guest

ilockett,
Error you are adding validation to the login control that does its own
validation. You have your design backwards or are doing something wrong.

Good Luck finding your error.
DWS

ilockett said:
[...]

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Whilst the Login control does have it's own validation - it only
displays the asterisk after the textbox and does not actually display a
message. This could be missed by some users.

I was hoping that the validation summary would show the error in a more
explicit way. I don't feel I am doing anything wrong - the
combination of Login and ValidationSummary works fine when not used
within a Content Placeholder.

I have so far worked around it by using the FindControl method:

Dim myLogin As Login
Dim mySummary As ValidationSummary
myLogin =
[LoginViewControlName].FindControl("[LoginControlName]")
mySummary =
[LoginViewControlName].FindControl("[ValidationSummaryControlName")
If myLogin IsNot Nothing Then
' Replace the returned underscores with dollar signs.
mySummary.ValidationGroup = Replace(myLogin.ClientID, "_",
"$")
End If

However, I'm really not happy in having to do it this way, and so any
other suggestions are more than welcome.

Many thanks
Ian

Guest

Ian,

I was having the same problem last night. It frustrated me for a good two
hours and I still have no fix. Glad to see that it's a problem with the
Master Pages, that was what I was going to try to test this time around... I
will probably end up using your workaround for now. If I come up with
something else I will let you know.

Dan