logon_user blank in front page web only

lmlaster

I have 2 webs under my default web running win2003
1. A front-page intranet
2. A asp (not .net) web is fine

Both allow anonomous access. My front page web always gets a BLANK
Request.ServerVariables("Logon_User"). The asp web gets the logon_user
OK. Both webs have a global.asa that has

Sub Session_Onstart()
session("logon") = Request.ServerVariables("Logon_User")
End sub

If I change the front-page web properties to NOT allow anonomous
access, I get the "Logon_user" OK when it executes in global.asa, but
in my front page web, I also submit forms to an email address. When
the front page web is changed to not allow anonomous access, the user
is presented with a logon box after pressing the submit button.

Any suggestions? The logon box is not acceptable.

Anthony Jones

lmlaster said:
I have 2 webs under my default web running win2003
1. A front-page intranet
2. A asp (not .net) web is fine

Both allow anonomous access. My front page web always gets a BLANK
Request.ServerVariables("Logon_User"). The asp web gets the logon_user
OK. Both webs have a global.asa that has

Sub Session_Onstart()
session("logon") = Request.ServerVariables("Logon_User")
End sub

If I change the front-page web properties to NOT allow anonomous
access, I get the "Logon_user" OK when it executes in global.asa, but
in my front page web, I also submit forms to an email address. When
the front page web is changed to not allow anonomous access, the user
is presented with a logon box after pressing the submit button.

Any suggestions? The logon box is not acceptable.

Your ASP web is pointing at files to which the anonymous user has not been
granted access. Hence the client is authenticating (IE does this
automatically for sites it considers to be in the intranet zone). Which is
why Logon_User has a value.

Your front page site is pointing at files that the anonymous user does have
access to therefore it needs not authenticate the connection. The
Logon_User is empty.

What value were you expecting to have in Logon_User whilst an anonymous user
on the internet accessed the site?

If this is an intranet application then turn off anonymous access and ensure
the users have the URL to the frontpage site added to their intranet zone
sites list in IE.

lmlaster

I have done more testing. in the front page web, I am fine surfing around
just fine and I have my domainname\userid from the system. I only get the
iis login prompt page when my web page attempts to SUBMIT a form. The form
is sending an email. When I get the log on prompt, if I put in a normal
user, the log on is rejected and I am sent back to re-try the log in. If I
put in an administrators login/password, the form is submitted successfully -
sending the email