Long string in input stretches enclosing table

0

0xDeadBeef

Hey all,

I'm working on an intranet app and I have an issue I can't figure
out. I have two divs positioned side-by-side. The divs enclose a
fieldset which encloses another div and a table. The table is used to
position a form with input controls. When filling out the form all
looks good until a long text string (100 to 200 characters) is entered
into an input control and the form is saved. Upon the redisplay, the
input string insists on being long enough to show the entire text
string. This stretches the table beyond the borders of its enclosing
div, fieldset and div. These three controls stay the proper size
while the table they are enclosing stretches too wide and overflows
their borders.

The outermost div has a width of 48%, the fieldset has a width of 95%
and the innermost div has no width assigned. The table has a width of
100%, the tr has a width of 98% and so does the input control. The
app has a liquid layout and stretches in width with the browser
window.

I am at my wits end with this one. I can't get the table or input to
stay the proper size. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm
using IE7, btw.

Len
dito.ca

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit 0xDeadBeef:
I'm working on an intranet app and I have an issue I can't figure
out.

Then set up a www page that demonstrates the issue, and post the URL.
When filling out the form all
looks good until a long text string (100 to 200 characters) is entered
into an input control and the form is saved.

How do you save a form in HTML? (Correct answer: You don't.)

There's a lot you haven't told us.
Upon the redisplay, the
input string insists on being long enough to show the entire text
string.

Which redisplay? Since the problem seems to be in this "redisplay", which is
presumably an HTML document, you could start from saving a sample page,
dummifying any secret or sensitive data, uploading the page on a www server,
and posting the URL.

Specifically, is the input string redisplayed in an <input> element, in a
<textarea> element, or outside any form field element, e.g. in a <div> or

Adrienne Boswell

[...]

As Jukka said, a URL would be helpful, but, gazing into my crystal ball,
I think:
1. You might be using asp.net (controls)
2. You might not have something closed in your code so that the text is
being rendered in the browser, creating this long string
3. If the string is supposed to be there, you can break it up server
side if it's too long.