looking for a simple way to load a program from another python program..

Eric_Dexter

I was looking for a simple way to load a simple python program from
another python program.

I tried

os.system(cabel)

The file name is cabel.py a csound instrument editor..

The error I am getting is

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\boa-constructor\test of
snake\Frame1.py", line 212, in OnCabelItems0Menu
os.system(cabel)
NameError: global name 'cabel' is not defined
Localisation of messages is disabled, using default language.
time resolution is 279.365 ns

This is with cabel in the current directory. I have managed to use
import to run it but it will only do it once. I may be able to use the
exec commands but I don't want to exit the program I am using only to
run other programs and then exit. I would also perfer that cabel is in
it's own directory.

thanks in advance for any help

http://www.stormpages.com/edexter/csound.html

Simon Forman

[...]

Read the docs: os.system() takes a string. You're calling it with an
uninitialized variable name. Unless you have something like "cabel =
'cabel'" somewhere before your call os.system() you can expect that
error.

"import cabel" will only work once because python's module import
mechanism caches imported modules to save time when a script imports
them more than once. To force the module to be reloaded use the reload
function: "reload(cabel)"

os.system() docs: http://docs.python.org/lib/os-process.html#l2h-1692
(But see the subprocess module too:
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-subprocess.html)

Peace,
~Simon

Caleb Hattingh

Hi Eric

Check that ".py" and ".pyw" are in your PATHEXT environment variable
(are you using Windows?). Then, if the folder that cabel is in is in
your PATH environment variable, and the correct association for .py
files is set up (i.e. they get run by python.exe),

either
os.system('cabel')
or
os.system('cabel.py')

should work.

Alternatively, you could not do any of those things, and run

os.system('python cabel.py')

with 'cabel.py' in the same folder as the parent script, and that
should work too, assuming that the path to your python executable is on
the PATH environment variable.

If you run other commands from python quite frequently, it is probably
a good idea to look into the "os.popen" set of commands, for more
flexibilty.

Caleb

Eric_Dexter

Caleb said:
[...]

import cabel and reload(cabel) seem to work fine. I am not sure why I
am having trouble with os.system . Tells me it isn't a command.
thanks for the help, I will look into os.popen to see what it does.
would there be ay

Eric_Dexter

Caleb said:
[...]

am having trouble with os.system, probily something to do with the
path. Is one better than the other when it comes to distributing
software?? Thanks for the help. Hopefully this message I get isn't
anything important.. (I will have to look into os.popen later.

Localisation of messages is disabled, using default language.
time resolution is 279.365 ns

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Luis_M._Gonz=E1lez?=

Try this:

import os
os.startfile('cabel.py')

This should work with any program or file, not only python ones.

Hope this helps,
Luis

Dennis Lee Bieber

import cabel and reload(cabel) seem to work fine. I am not sure why I

If you are having to "reload(cabel)" each time you need the
operation, you should redesign it so it becomes a callable...

import cabel
cabel.run()

The reload operation is really at its best when one might have
edited the module and need to force a reread of it to make the changes
take effect.

os.system() and relatives (windows: os.startfile(); generic popen
variations and subprocess) are all designed to run an external
application, of any type, AS as external application.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

AlbaClause

[...]

I am new to Python coding myself, but I've found that the easiest way to
start another script from within a script, is to use the
execfile('filename.py') command.

There may be better ways of loading other Python scripts -- better ways that
I'm not yet aware of -- but execfile() works for me.

Gabriel Genellina

At said:
I was looking for a simple way to load a simple python program from
another python program.

I tried

os.system(cabel)

The file name is cabel.py a csound instrument editor..

NameError: global name 'cabel' is not defined

Have you tried os.system("cabel.py")

Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Eric_Dexter

Gabriel said:
Have you tried os.system("cabel.py")
That did not seem to work, os.startfile worked great. I haven't tried
passing commands to csound with it yet but maybe os.sytem will work
better with that than it did python since I got the idea to use that to
pass arguments to them from a csound example. won't have time until
this weekend to try that though, or the exec(file)..

http://www.stormpages.com/edexter/csound.html

Dennis Lee Bieber

That did not seem to work, os.startfile worked great. I haven't tried

That would tend to imply that "Windows" knows how run ".py"
(startfile is the equivalent of double-clicking an icon), but the
command interpreter is not configured with .py as an extension for
executable programs.

Open a command shell (if you've not created a short-cut for such, it
is at: start/programs/accessories/command prompt

Type: echo %PATHEXT%

C:\Documents and Settings\Dennis Lee Bieber>echo %PATHEXT%
..COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.pyw;.py;.pyo;.pyc;.tcl

Is .py in the list yours shows?