mac ie5 butchery

the idiot

eek just been told (by a laughing friend) that my homepage
falls apart when viewed by mac ie5 - i believe the right hand column is the
problem
http://www.207g.karoo.net/index.html

all is fine in opera firefox and safari i think

a - are there ways to solve this local difficulty?
b - how many people use ie5 with a mac (so i can decide how much to panic)?

tia

Els

the said:
eek just been told (by a laughing friend) that my homepage
falls apart when viewed by mac ie5 - i believe the right hand column is the
problem
http://www.207g.karoo.net/index.html

I don't have a Mac, so I can't tell.
all is fine in opera firefox and safari i think

a - are there ways to solve this local difficulty?

I usually check via browsercam.com, to avoid friends with Macs
laughing ;-)
In general, MacIE5 has problems with right floated things. Especially
if no width is defined IIRC.
b - how many people use ie5 with a mac (so i can decide how much to panic)?

No idea, but since your friend has one, I'd at least get the site so
that he doesn't have to laugh at you :)

the idiot

Els said:
I don't have a Mac, so I can't tell.

I usually check via browsercam.com, to avoid friends with Macs
laughing ;-)
In general, MacIE5 has problems with right floated things. Especially
if no width is defined IIRC.
panic)?

--
erm, he is a lady. and i think one of her sites also falls apart too
(neither of us have macs so it came as a bit of a shock) - though i am lucky

the idiot

Els said:
I don't have a Mac, so I can't tell.

I usually check via browsercam.com, to avoid friends with Macs
laughing ;-)
In general, MacIE5 has problems with right floated things. Especially
if no width is defined IIRC.
panic)?

No idea, but since your friend has one, I'd at least get the site so
that he doesn't have to laugh at you :)

ooh just registered for a free trial of browsercam.. very interesting. i
shall now go and sit in a dark room.

Els

the said:
ooh just registered for a free trial of browsercam.. very interesting. i
shall now go and sit in a dark room.

I'm afraid that won't help ;-)

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

the idiot

Els said:
I'm afraid that won't help ;-)
i will have a bottle vodka as well..

actually all is mainly ok, only the oldest of browsers are causing some
concern.

Andy Dingley

the said:
eek just been told (by a laughing friend) that my homepage
falls apart when viewed by mac ie5

Why are they laughing? Can't they afford a WebTV?

Mac IE is one of the least reliable browsers around for rendering CSS.
It's completely obsolete and no-one should still bother using it. For
web designers you can basically ignore it unless someone's offering you
good money to muck out its cage.

Floats are particularly bad. If you really care about supporting Mac
IE, do your layout with tables (but break the legs of anyone who thinks
this is somehow "better"). If you want to try getting floats to work,
then set explicit widths on floated elements (implicit doesn't cut it).
Trying to float:left and float:right opposite each other is
particularly unreliable.

Mac IE doesn't like deep nesting of <div>s. Many bugs only manifest
when they're a couple of layers down.

SGML parsing(?) is broken too. If you avoid nesting <div>s by placing
multiple class names into the same attribute (perfectly legal, just
whitespace them apart) watch out for a nasty bug where any surplus
(sic) whitespace (double spaces between names, a leading space in the
attribute) can barf the parser so badly that it ignores the whole
element.

You have my sympathies - I'm sorting out a moderately complex CSS-based
site for Mac IE compatibility today and it's a nightmarish job. My own
bugs are one thing, but dealing with M$oft's are quite another.

The odd thing is how anyone ever took Tantek Celik seriously
afterwards. The Mac IE bugs are just that - bugs. They're not minimal
support for a standard, they're just the result of bad project
management and test case design.

the idiot

Andy Dingley said:
[...]

hurrah the answer i needed, the answer which allows me (until someone
complains) to ignore such matters. ;-)

Toby Inkster

Andy said:
Mac IE is one of the least reliable browsers around for rendering CSS.
It's completely obsolete and no-one should still bother using it.

When it first came out, it was the most standards-compliant CSS engine on
the block; it was the first mainstream browser to support alpha-blended
PNGs (but not on background images for some reason).

There are one or two fairly major bugs, but they're usually fairly trivial
to work around once you've spotted them.

Most solidly written CSS-based designs shouldn't cause too much trouble
with Mac IE. Unless you're doing something odd, a site that works in the
other main CSS rendering engines[1] is likely to work in Mac IE.

iCab is similar in that respect. It's CSS support is incredibly impressive
for such a non-mainstream rendering engine. Most sites that work in the
main rendering engines will not cause problems for iCab.

____
1. I class the five "main CSS rendering engines" as:

* Trident (aka MSHTML) - used in IE Win and various spin-offs.

* Gecko (aka NGLayout) - used in Mozilla, Firefox, Camino,
Epihpany and their bretheren.

* Presto - used in Opera 7+.

* KHTML/WebCore - used in Konqueror, Safari, Omniweb and a few
Mac OS X browsers of which noone's ever heard.

* Tasman - used in Mac IE 5+.

However, Tasman is rapidly moving out of the "main CSS rendering engine"
category, into the "obsolete CSS rendering engine" category, where it can
join Opera 3.6-6.1 and Netscape 4.x.

Andy Dingley

Toby said:
When it first came out, it was the most standards-compliant CSS engine on
the block;

It was certainly taking a more standards-aware viewpoint than the
competition. However the _quality_ of the implementation is where it
falls down. It makes an attempt to support all sorts of features, but
the bug count means that they're effectively useless.

And the standards standard of the day wasn't exactly high either.

It's the implied scope of the test design that grates the most. Did
they not _test_ this thing? I'm sure they did - I can imagine this
huge test suite of single <div> individual pages, all testing one
feature of the spec one-by-one and nothing that tested combinations,
nesting or real world examples of typical complexity. A feature in Mac
IE typically "works" (it can be demonstrated working in at least one
trivial example), you just can't _use_ it (no borders on Tuesdays, or
no combining milk and meat on the same page)

it was the first mainstream browser to support alpha-blended
PNGs (but not on background images for some reason).

And how many times have you actually used such a PNG? I'm sure it's a
great feature if you need it, but it's not exactly mainstream, even
now. A couple of weeks ago I had a serious question raised by our
dezyner as to whether PNGs were an adequate substitute for GIFs, in
terms of extant browser support.
There are one or two fairly major bugs, but they're usually fairly trivial
to work around once you've spotted them.

Like hell they are! If you think that, you're welcome to sort out my
particular barrel of monkeys.

Take two text strings and float them opposite each other right and
left, inside an overall <div>. How much simpler do you need?

I have some other code with a thumbnail image in a list, and some text
alongside it. The image floats so the caption can sit alongside it. To
get it to work on Mac IE I have to throw away the list markup and use a
Most solidly written CSS-based designs shouldn't cause too much trouble
with Mac IE.

Absolute rubbish. My last couple of weeks have been hell, simply
because of a need to support Mac IE. The obvious answer (and what the
dezyner desperately wants to do) is to throw away the pretty good CSS
design that works on Windows IE and do it all with tables. That would
admittedly work, but it's a pretty poor pass for "the most
standards-compliant CSS engine on the block".

CSS has had a raw deal. _Eight_ years on and it's still not being used
as fully as it ought. Some of this is due to inertia and Frontplague,
most due to inadequate training materials on good CSS (who else found
this a nightmare?), but a lot of it has to be due to the unusably poor
quality of the "early adopter" CSS browsers like Mac IE. Those
developers who did try to use CSS early on got burned badly and aren't
in a hurry to go back.

Toby Inkster

Andy said:
It's the implied scope of the test design that grates the most. Did
they not _test_ this thing? I'm sure they did - I can imagine this
huge test suite of single <div> individual pages, all testing one
feature of the spec one-by-one and nothing that tested combinations,
nesting or real world examples of typical complexity.

When it was released there were very few examples of complex CSS being
used in the "real world", so there were precious few "real world examples"
to test on.
no combining milk and meat on the same page

That's not kosher anyway.

the idiot

Toby Inkster said:
Andy said:
Mac IE is one of the least reliable browsers around for rendering CSS.
It's completely obsolete and no-one should still bother using it.

When it first came out, it was the most standards-compliant CSS engine on
the block; it was the first mainstream browser to support alpha-blended
PNGs (but not on background images for some reason).

There are one or two fairly major bugs, but they're usually fairly trivial
to work around once you've spotted them.

Most solidly written CSS-based designs shouldn't cause too much trouble
with Mac IE. Unless you're doing something odd, a site that works in the
other main CSS rendering engines[1] is likely to work in Mac IE.

my prob is the (3rd column) float left in a 3 col div thing
it works in everything (i believe) but mac ie5 - mind you my css is
probably more wobbly than solid.

the idiot

the idiot said:
Toby Inkster said:
Andy said:
Mac IE is one of the least reliable browsers around for rendering CSS.
It's completely obsolete and no-one should still bother using it.

When it first came out, it was the most standards-compliant CSS engine on
the block; it was the first mainstream browser to support alpha-blended
PNGs (but not on background images for some reason).

There are one or two fairly major bugs, but they're usually fairly trivial
to work around once you've spotted them.

Most solidly written CSS-based designs shouldn't cause too much trouble
with Mac IE. Unless you're doing something odd, a site that works in the
other main CSS rendering engines[1] is likely to work in Mac IE.

the problem doesnt appear (according to www.browsercam.com ) with
mac firefox mozilla netscape opera safar
it works with linux firefox konqueror opera
and it works with windows everything
the only place it goes belly up is mac ie5