Major web host supports Rails

Ara.T.Howard

Want to support Ruby? Use Textdrive (http://www.textdrive.com/).
When you sign up a portion of your payment goes to the open source
project of your choice and Ruby is one of the choices. They are also
very cheap, stable, and DHH is associated with them.

Seriously Textdrive is a great deal.

i've got a script running that pings my textdrive accounts once every ten
seconds... it fails about 40 times per day. multiply by 10 and guesstimate
that my sites are unavailable for about 400 seconds, or about 6 minutes, each
day. they claim it's due to people restarting apache via the webmin panel,
but that's tough if you are doing anything commercial - especially since the
price is already quite high...

IMHO the best way to support ruby is to contribute code.

cheers.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
| --Tenzin Gyatso

Douglas Livingstone

Want to support Ruby? Use Textdrive (http://www.textdrive.com/).
When you sign up a portion of your payment goes to the open source
project of your choice and Ruby is one of the choices. They are also
very cheap, stable, and DHH is associated with them.
=20

Don't you mean Rails, not Ruby?

Douglas

Carl Youngblood

------=_Part_2015_5229391.1121113332909

I agree. At one point I was considering TextDrive because of all the good=
=20
things other railsers were saying about them, but the cost/benefit simply=
=20
wasn't worth it to me. After hearing your experience the decision becomes=
=20
that much easier.

I am only just getting started with rails on DreamHost, but so far I am ver=
y=20
pleased with their service, and the price is great.

Carl

=20
=20
i've got a script running that pings my textdrive accounts once every ten
seconds... it fails about 40 times per day. multiply by 10 and guesstimat= e
that my sites are unavailable for about 400 seconds, or about 6 minutes,= =20
each
day. they claim it's due to people restarting apache via the webmin panel= ,
but that's tough if you are doing anything commercial - especially since= =20
the
price is already quite high...

------=_Part_2015_5229391.1121113332909--

Ara.T.Howard

I agree. At one point I was considering TextDrive because of all the good
things other railsers were saying about them, but the cost/benefit simply
wasn't worth it to me. After hearing your experience the decision becomes
that much easier.

i should add that i'm still using them and generally happy. i just don't like
anyone being able to drop the webserver at any time... dunno a good
alternative either.

fyi.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
| --Tenzin Gyatso

James Edward Gray II

i should add that i'm still using them and generally happy.

I too use and like them. They open up pretty much everything I want
by default, so it's easy to set up whatever I need. My favorite
feature though is their support, which is the best I've ever seen.

James Edward Gray II

Carl Youngblood

------=_Part_2071_23916331.1121119032962

=20
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Carl Youngblood wrote:
=20
=20
i should add that i'm still using them and generally happy. i just don't= =20
like
anyone being able to drop the webserver at any time... dunno a good
alternative either.
=20

What about not giving people rights to HUP the webserver and just allowing=
=20
them to terminate their own FCGI processes? Either that, or allowing them t=
o=20
run their own instance of lighttpd.

Carl

------=_Part_2071_23916331.1121119032962--

James Edward Gray II

What about not giving people rights to HUP the webserver and just
allowing
them to terminate their own FCGI processes? Either that, or
allowing them to
run their own instance of lighttpd.

TextDrive certainly does the latter. I'm running two instances of
lighttpd and and instance of Instiki (WEBrick), in addition to the
standard Apache stuff.

They walked me through the lighttpd setup process to get it running
exactly like I wanted. Did I mention they have killer support? ;)

James Edward Gray II

Ara.T.Howard

What about not giving people rights to HUP the webserver and just allowing
them to terminate their own FCGI processes?

tough to configure virtual hosts that way ;-) that'd be a good idea for
fastcgi though. then there mod_ruby, etc - which requires a restart... i
think some sort of virtual machine is required - dunno what you call it -
where each user gets root on his own os and you have your very own apache
instance might be the only way... in some respects shared hosting and
fastcgi/mod_xxx simply don't belong together - it's a tough thing to do well i
realize.
Either that, or allowing them to run their own instance of lighttpd.

they do that - but i'm personally not that keen on lighttpd.

regards.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
| --Tenzin Gyatso

Ferdinand

And where is your problem ?
I'm not sure if English is your first language or not, but in the
English vernacular, "[What] is your problem?" is a fairly
argumentative phrase.

That was unnecessary. Please don't be so rude in an otherwise friendly
community.

Ferdinand

Michael Campbell said:
And where is your problem ?

I'm not sure if English is your first language or not, but in the
English vernacular, "[What] is your problem?" is a fairly
argumentative phrase.

That was unnecessary. Please don't be so rude in an otherwise friendly
community.

Michael Campbell

Michael Campbell said:
And where is your problem ?

I'm not sure if English is your first language or not, but in the
English vernacular, "[What] is your problem?" is a fairly
argumentative phrase.
=20
That was unnecessary.=20

So was that.
Please don't be so rude in an otherwise friendly
community.

I tried responding offlist (which you should have done), but since you
don't have a valid reply-to, I couldn't.

I wasn't being rude. I asked a simple question. He responded with
what, in HIS view I'm sure, was a perfectly non-instrusive response,
which would be widely construed (even by many overly pedantic types, 1
of which replied here) as an argumentative phrase. I was only
informing him of that fact so in the future he would know. Most
bi-lingual speakers I've I know like to know the idioms and vernacular
of their non-native tongue.

won't see it any longer; it's long since outlived its usefulness, and
I doubt my intentions can be adequately expressed over this medium.

Cheers