Making a custom control with TD tags show in the designer

groups

I have a custom control that consists of a label and a textbox and
around each there are TD tags.
So when I bring it into my ASPX page it looks something like this (this
is a simplified example):

<xxx:WebCustomControl1 id="WebCustomControl11" runat="server"
Text="dfd"></xxx:WebCustomControl1>

Now this renders out in my browser as expected... a table with one row
and 3 cells.
But in the designer the custom control doesn't show up because there
are no TD tags around it.

I tried adding a custom designer to the control (overriding
GetDesignTimeHtml and whatnot) but that doesn't seem to be the problem.
Even with the override the designer doesn't seem to acknowledge that
the control has it's own TD tags.
Is there something I missing to get this to work in the designer?

Thanks,
Ken