making a scroll bar

isaac2004

hi am making a webpage for a client that has a lot of text on thier
site, i have a photoshop template that i created and i want the text
to fit in a small part of template, can anybody point me in the
direction of a quick scroll bar that doesnt have any bells and
whisltes, thanks for the help

Randy Webb

isaac2004 said the following on 2/28/2007 12:02 AM:
hi am making a webpage for a client that has a lot of text on thier
site, i have a photoshop template that i created and i want the text
to fit in a small part of template, can anybody point me in the
direction of a quick scroll bar that doesnt have any bells and
whisltes, thanks for the help

Maybe you have heard of this new phenomenon in the world of web design
called CSS? overflow: scroll

comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets

Some very long content here that you would need enough
to cause more than 200 pixels square to be required to
display it. After doing that, save your file and view
it in a browser. The results might surprise you. You might
also want to be honest enough with your clients to tell
them that they need a new web author as the one they
currently have is incapable of the job.

Dag Sunde

Richard said:
Hi Randy,

Do you have a web reference somewher that has the latest tag-options
with a description of each? I am a newbie too and have been looking
up the list on the w3schools website and couldn't see anything about
"overflow" options. My sarcasm meter says you were inferring that
this was not a new option so a pointer to the latest and greatest
docs would be much appreciated.

You have to look better, then:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_positioning.asp

But while I'm here; how do you get rid of the bottom scroll bar?

The scrollbars behaves differently in different browsers (unfortunately)
PS. Also, an an exception thrown by a Java applet method be caught by
a Javascript try/catch?

Not directly, no.

Catch the exception in java, and return the condition to your JS
in a controlled way.

Richard Maher

Hi Randy,

Randy Webb said:
Maybe you have heard of this new phenomenon in the world of web design
called CSS? overflow: scroll

Do you have a web reference somewher that has the latest tag-options with a
description of each? I am a newbie too and have been looking up the list on
the w3schools website and couldn't see anything about "overflow" options. My
sarcasm meter says you were inferring that this was not a new option so a
pointer to the latest and greatest docs would be much appreciated.

But while I'm here; how do you get rid of the bottom scroll bar?

Regards Richard Maher

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Randy Webb

Richard Maher said the following on 2/28/2007 6:00 AM:
Hi Randy,

Do you have a web reference somewher that has the latest tag-options with a
description of each?

I am a newbie too and have been looking up the list on
the w3schools website and couldn't see anything about
"overflow" options.

I have never been a fan of the w3schools site either. I have taken the
JS test there several times to see if it has changed in quality and it
hasn't. It typically has between 4 and 8 incorrect answers out of 20
questions. So I am not sure if w3schools has a decent CSS side or not.
You could try asking in news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets
about a tutorial or reference page.
My sarcasm meter says you were inferring that this was not
a new option so a pointer to the latest and greatest docs
would be much appreciated.

Yes, it was extreme sarcasm. overflow: setting has been around for a
very long time. The sarcasm got injected by having a client and being
unable to come up with something as simple as a scrollbar.
But while I'm here; how do you get rid of the bottom scroll bar?

As has already been pointed out in another reply, it depends on the
browser and how it decides to handle scrollbars.
Regards Richard Maher

PS. Also, an an exception thrown by a Java applet method be caught by a
Javascript try/catch?

No, JS can only catch JS errors.