making Ruby a standard browser side language

SpringFlowers AutumnMoon

it looks like Prototype was made to mimic Ruby in Javascript, and people
who use Prototype usually love it. I wonder if Ruby can be made into
another browser side language and what can make that happen? If Firefox
adds a Ruby interpreter to its browser and some killer websites come out
with features only supported by Ruby-enabled browsers, maybe Microsoft
and Apple will have incentive to make Ruby go into IE and Safari too?
Apple probably already loves Ruby as they put Ruby on Tiger and then
added Rails on Leopard.

Avdi Grimm

it looks like Prototype was made to mimic Ruby in Javascript, and people
who use Prototype usually love it. I wonder if Ruby can be made into
another browser side language and what can make that happen? If Firefox
adds a Ruby interpreter to its browser and some killer websites come out
with features only supported by Ruby-enabled browsers, maybe Microsoft
and Apple will have incentive to make Ruby go into IE and Safari too?

Microsoft is way ahead of Mozilla and Apple in that department.
Silverlight allows web pages to be scripted with Ruby.

But I don't think it's going to take off, any more than previous
attempts to put VBScript, Python, TCL, etc. in the browser have
succeeded. Browser makers have a hard enough time standardizing their
rendering of [X]HTML, ECMAScript, and CSS without adding more
languages for them to handle in subtly incompatible ways.

--
Avdi

Home: http://avdi.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/avdi
Journal: http://avdi.livejournal.com

Joel VanderWerf

SpringFlowers said:
it looks like Prototype was made to mimic Ruby in Javascript, and people
who use Prototype usually love it. I wonder if Ruby can be made into
another browser side language and what can make that happen? If Firefox
adds a Ruby interpreter to its browser and some killer websites come out
with features only supported by Ruby-enabled browsers, maybe Microsoft
and Apple will have incentive to make Ruby go into IE and Safari too?
Apple probably already loves Ruby as they put Ruby on Tiger and then
added Rails on Leopard.

An interesting attempt to interpret ruby bytecodes (YARV) in javascript:

http://hotruby.accelart.jp

Magicloud Magiclouds

Avdi said:
it looks like Prototype was made to mimic Ruby in Javascript, and people
who use Prototype usually love it. I wonder if Ruby can be made into
another browser side language and what can make that happen? If Firefox
adds a Ruby interpreter to its browser and some killer websites come out
with features only supported by Ruby-enabled browsers, maybe Microsoft
and Apple will have incentive to make Ruby go into IE and Safari too?

Microsoft is way ahead of Mozilla and Apple in that department.
Silverlight allows web pages to be scripted with Ruby.

But I don't think it's going to take off, any more than previous
attempts to put VBScript, Python, TCL, etc. in the browser have
succeeded. Browser makers have a hard enough time standardizing their
rendering of [X]HTML, ECMAScript, and CSS without adding more
languages for them to handle in subtly incompatible ways.
Firebird is working on "python script", not officially, but I think this
is a good start, later though.

ara.t.howard

it looks like Prototype was made to mimic Ruby in Javascript, and
people
who use Prototype usually love it. I wonder if Ruby can be made into
another browser side language and what can make that happen? If
Firefox
adds a Ruby interpreter to its browser and some killer websites come
out
with features only supported by Ruby-enabled browsers, maybe Microsoft
and Apple will have incentive to make Ruby go into IE and Safari too?
Apple probably already loves Ruby as they put Ruby on Tiger and then
added Rails on Leopard.

http://headius.blogspot.com/2006/11/ruby-for-web-check.html

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

Robert Dober

it looks like Prototype was made to mimic Ruby in Javascript, and people
who use Prototype usually love it. I wonder if Ruby can be made into
another browser side language and what can make that happen? If Firefox
adds a Ruby interpreter to its browser and some killer websites come out
with features only supported by Ruby-enabled browsers, maybe Microsoft
and Apple will have incentive to make Ruby go into IE and Safari too?

Microsoft is way ahead of Mozilla and Apple in that department.
Silverlight allows web pages to be scripted with Ruby.

But I don't think it's going to take off, any more than previous
attempts to put VBScript, Python, TCL, etc. in the browser have
succeeded. Browser makers have a hard enough time standardizing their
rendering of [X]HTML, ECMAScript, and CSS without adding more
languages for them to handle in subtly incompatible ways.
Quite agree with you and actually Javascript is not bad a language at
all, although Prototype is a nice extension. It is not Javascript's
fault that applying it on web pages is not as easy as writing Ruby
scripts in vim and running them.
Now I still would use Ruby instead of Javascript (e.g. with Rhino) to
implement a console application of course ;)

Javascript does not have the sexy syntax and block semantics that Ruby
has but its object model is great (maybe better in some ways as
Mixins, almost as Traits but there is of course no conflict handling
when extending an objects prototype) and blocks can be simulated with
anonymous functions, I believe that I am not the first to say this on
this list:
Javascript is unduly underrated as a language because of the niche it
is used in.

Somehow it even feels wrong to take this niche away from it.

Cheers
Robert

SpringFlowers AutumnMoon

Avdi said:
Microsoft is way ahead of Mozilla and Apple in that department.
Silverlight allows web pages to be scripted with Ruby.

so Silverlight is like a Flash program that can be written in many
languages including Ruby? can it become popular, since Flash is not
popular as a standalone app such as email program (gmail or yahoo mail)
or bank's website. they still just javascript and AJAX to do things.