Master pages vs frames

Guest

Hi;

Any strong arguments on using master pages vs frames when the header &
footer are always the same and the main body is the part that keeps changing?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Frames can be a pain in the butt since they require a good amount of client
side code to keep everything in sync because the pages never exist on the
server at the same point in time.
MasterPages don't suffer from this problem. Plus, with all the different
kinds of caching that can be done in ASP.NET 2.0 there's really no need to
resort to frames.

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
Frames can be a pain in the butt since they require a good amount of client
side code to keep everything in sync because the pages never exist on the
server at the same point in time.
MasterPages don't suffer from this problem. Plus, with all the different
kinds of caching that can be done in ASP.NET 2.0 there's really no need to
resort to frames.

Sorry to piggyback, I lost the original message.

Also, frames work against the web paradigm, which is that to each URL
corresponds one single resource. When you use frames, one single URL can
display different content. I don't say it should be avoided, just that
one should be aware of this aspect too.

HTH,
Laurent

HongQuan Wu[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

Master page is a new feature introduced in ASP.NET 2.0. It gives you a
simple way to ensure the consistent look and feel to an entire application.
Here are some suggestions for whether to use Master page or Frame.

We usually use Master page when

1. Not concerned about a full page refresh
2. Development requires a highly modifiable inheritable page standard and
users will live with a page refresh
3. Need to be allow the user to bookmark a specific page

We usually use Frame when

1. Don't want full page refreshes
2. Have complex asp: control driven pages which can't be refreshed by data
only i.e. the asp: controls need to be generated into html by the web
server first
3. Need multiple areas of the page to be refreshed at different times by
the user

If there is anything unclear about this issue, please feel free to let me
know. Thanks a lot!

Thanks & Regards,

Frederick Wu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:

BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469

Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/international.aspx.

HongQuan Wu[MSFT]

Hi,

Do you have any other concerns on this issue? Thank you!

Thanks & Regards,

Frederick Wu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:

BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469

Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/international.aspx.

Guest

No - your post was a very good one on the trade-offs and the mass vote of the
others made it clear what road people are going down now.