master pages and content pages

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by sjsean, Aug 1, 2009.

  1. sjsean

    sjsean Guest

    I seem to be missing something on the concept of master pages and the
    content pages "linking" to them.

    I want to set up a master page (which I have done in visual web
    developer 2008) with a header, left, middle, right, footer set up.

    In concept my belief is that header and footer code will be placed
    into the master page itself. The left hand side would be a log-in
    with menu; the right-hand side for ads; and the center for content.

    I'm using a stylesheet and "div"s for placement.

    I had a login.aspx page, a photo.aspx page which I wanted as the left
    and middle respectively. However, when I try to link them to the
    master page one always seems to "overwrite" the other. Can someone
    give ideas on what I may be doing wrong or how to do correctly?

    In theory it would seem I could have 3 aspx files/pages for left,
    middle, right

    Thanks in advance.

    Sean

    sjsean, Aug 1, 2009

  2. sjsean

    Scott M. Guest

    How are you trying to "link" your pages together? When you create the
    login.aspx page nad the photo.aspx pages, you should be creating them as
    "Content" pages, not regular "Web Form" pages.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Aug 1, 2009