membership, SQLExpress and/or SQLServer

dgk

I'm using the standard provider for membership which is SQLServer
Express. After deploying the app to our server, login fails because of
an SQL problem. I'm guessing that the problem is that the server has
SQLServer 2005 but not express.

I can install Express, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to
change the provider to use SQLServer? This is our intranet and the
number of users will never be over 15 simultaneous users so
scaling/performance isn't an issue.

I think it's easier to maintain using Express since I can just copy
the datafile between production and development as needed. Any reasons
to do one over the other? I don't actually know how to change the
provider but it looks like all I need to do is copy the provider
sections from machine.config into the web.config and create connection
strings as needed. Plus run aspnet_regsql!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Most likely, you have to alter the connection strings to match the server's
SQL location. It will be in the <connectionString> section.

You might also have different accounts or different security settings in
IIS. It is easier to set up SQL Server with sql connection strings (not
windows auth strings) on a server box. It is not necessarily the BEST way to
go, but you are more likely to have a login success locally with windows
authentication.

You can attach a SQL Express database in SQL Server proper. They are
identical.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

dgk

Most likely, you have to alter the connection strings to match the server's
SQL location. It will be in the <connectionString> section.

You might also have different accounts or different security settings in
IIS. It is easier to set up SQL Server with sql connection strings (not
windows auth strings) on a server box. It is not necessarily the BEST way to
go, but you are more likely to have a login success locally with windows
authentication.

You can attach a SQL Express database in SQL Server proper. They are
identical.

Thanks. I'm also having trouble figuring out how to deal with
Membership and Profiles. Since this is an intranet app, there will be
no anonymous users and users will be set up by a supervisor. So I
thought that linking the user to the profile would be easy but
apparently there are some issues. I just scrapped the original mdf and
am starting over to see what is happening.