    sessions memory for aspnet process remains pegged at the level it was.
    Has anyone run across a similar situation? Any ideas would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Guest, Mar 4, 2005

    Scott Allen Guest

    So the application leaks? Or it stays at a farily predictable 'high
    water' mark?

    Scott Allen, Mar 4, 2005

    Homam Guest

    Homam, Mar 4, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Thanks to both of you for your replies.
    at one of our client sites the application virtually became unusable pegging
    the memory over 800 MB. In our tests with .NET Memory profiler the culprit
    appears to be System.String when used with ResourceReader. Our tests also
    indicated that even after all the sessions are closed the aspnet memory
    remained high and never came down even after about 6 hours.

    Guest, Mar 4, 2005

    Mark Rae Guest

    You mean this one: http://www.scitech.se/memprofiler/

    Can you recommend it? Is anyone else using it? Is there a better utility out
    there?

    Mark Rae, Mar 4, 2005

    Josh Guest

    Its not likely to be the fault of the string. I bet its the Reader not
    cleaning up. Try killing the reader.

    Josh, Mar 4, 2005

    Guest Guest

    We in fact Close,Dispose and even set the reader to null.

    Guest, Mar 4, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Yes. We used the same one. I am not aware of something better than this.

    Guest, Mar 4, 2005
  9. I agree with Josh. System.String is not going to cause any memory leaks. If
    you abuse it, it can run your memory up quite a bit, but it will come back
    down. On the other hand, ResourceReader is a disposable class that works
    with files. Not closing and/or disposing such a class can cause a memory
    leak.

    Now, I know that you've stated that you close and dispose the
    ResourceReader, but are you sure that you always do so? For example, is the
    close and dispose in a Finally block of a Try/Catch block? If not, an
    exception might prevent the ResourceReader from being disposed properly.

    You might want to look for any other classes that expose unmanaged objects,
    particularly classes that work with File IO.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    What You Seek Is What You Get.

    Kevin Spencer, Mar 4, 2005

    david youren Guest

    I have a similar problem with a memory leak in .net on a dual xeon
    windows 2003 server. I notice a lot of posts about this leaks on a dual
    xeon, what is your server running?

    david youren, Mar 11, 2005

    sanjeevsai

    Joined:
    May 28, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:

    we are also facing the problem of memory leak. actually this is because of the infragistics tools for ASP.net. I am also using .net Memory Profile but since I new to this tool, need some resources which could give me insite of the tool. the resouces/material/samples available on the .net memory profiler's site are for win App.

    will appreciate if you could provide something regarding this.

    sanjeevsai, May 28, 2009

    mias

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Asp.Net Web Profiler

    I only recently dicovered the Asp.Net Web Profiler. It is simply amazing in how you can analize in memory data. It displays the asp.net cache data, application state data and objects, all active user sessions and al session state data in each session with drill down functionality to browse through data and analyze everything.

    mias, Nov 7, 2012

    mias

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Web Profiler

    If there are still something running in memory you should be able to detect it by running the asp.net web profiler. You can download for free from aspwebprofiler.com

    mias, Mar 17, 2013