M P

What does this mean? I am accessing an ASP page that queries Access Database
thru fileDSN. I'm using IIS 5.0 Win2K SP4

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open
registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x444 Thread 0xfe4
DBC 0x5200024 Jet'.

(FileName), (LineNumber)

M P

Can you help me with the syntax? I 've tried changing my connection as what
you've said but I get some errors. Whats wrong with my code?

<%
cst = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=F:/AccessDB/access.mdb"
set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.open cst
%>

joker said:
Please read the following. Also stop using a DSN as it has been
Deprecated from the MDAC.

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/
ado_deprecated_components.asp

M said:
What does this mean? I am accessing an ASP page that queries Access Database
thru fileDSN. I'm using IIS 5.0 Win2K SP4

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open
registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x444 Thread 0xfe4
DBC 0x5200024 Jet'.

(FileName), (LineNumber)

joker

At this point I'd need the new error since you switched from DSN/ODBC to
OLEDB for you connection. Also have you made sure that the IUSR account
has read, write, & change permission in the folder "F:\AccessDB" folder.

One other thing when you use 'Data Source' your slashes need to be "\"
(back slash) not the "/" (forward slash) that you are using. You only
use a forward slash when using "Server.MapPath" because web servers use
that while Windows uses a back slash.

So most likely the error is because of the slash you are using, but if
that doesn't fix it I'd suggest posting the error.

M P wrote:

What does this mean? I am accessing an ASP page that queries Access
Database
thru fileDSN. I'm using IIS 5.0 Win2K SP4

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open
registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x444 Thread
0xfe4
DBC 0x5200024 Jet'.

(FileName), (LineNumber)

M P

I tried to put IUSR account to these folder and assign change permission but
still not working and have error like this:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
Could not find file 'C:\AccessDB\access.mdb'.

/conn.asp, line 4

And conn.asp have this line:

<%
cst = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=C:\AccessDB\access.mdb;"

M P wrote:

What does this mean? I am accessing an ASP page that queries Access
Database

thru fileDSN. I'm using IIS 5.0 Win2K SP4

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open
registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x444 Thread
0xfe4

DBC 0x5200024 Jet'.

(FileName), (LineNumber)

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Maybe you tried, but it sounds as if you did not do it correctly. This is
the error you get when the IUSR account has insufficient permissions (read
and write - aka. Change) for the folder containing the database.

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009

Bob Barrows

M P wrote:

What does this mean? I am accessing an ASP page that queries
Access

Database

thru fileDSN. I'm using IIS 5.0 Win2K SP4

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to
open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x444
Thread

0xfe4

DBC 0x5200024 Jet'.

(FileName), (LineNumber)

A P

I'm really sure about that. I have tried copying the same db to different
location and assign permission and still I receive this error. Need help
from the experts!!!

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Are you able to log on to the server? If so, please do so, and then open up
a command prompt START---RUN---"CMD"---ENTER

Then enter this command:

dir C:\AccessDB\access.mdb

What is the response?

Then enter this command:

cacls C:\AccessDB

What is the response?

Ray at home

A P

here is the response:

C:\>dir accessdb\access.mdb
Volume in drive C is System
Volume Serial Number is EFGH-ABCD

Directory of C:\accessdb

08/25/2004 02:43p 1,941,504 dprdb.mdb
1 File(s) 1,941,504 bytes
0 Dir(s) 3,313,098,752 bytes free

C:\>cacls accessdb
C:\AccessDB TRILUX\IUSR_TELSVR02:(OI)(CI)C
Everyone:(OI)(CI)F

Bob Barrows [MVP]

A better test would be to log onto the machine as the local IUSR account and
then try to access the folder. From your results, it looks like you've
granted permissions to a domain-level user. Is this machine the same machine
that your web server is running on?

Please go back and re-read the entire FAQ article I linked you to. If the
database is on a different machine from the machine that's running the web
server, then you have a whole different set of issues that are dealt with
here: http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168

Jeff Cochran

Your original posted error was:
Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
Could not find file 'C:\AccessDB\access.mdb'.

Your connection was:
<%
cst = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=C:\AccessDB\access.mdb;"
set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.open cst
%>

When you looked at this:
Directory of C:\accessdb

You got this:
08/25/2004 02:43p 1,941,504 dprdb.mdb

Hate to point out the obvious, but the connection source is a file
named "access.mdb" and the error is that the file "access.mdb" can't
be found. Take a look at your directory listing. Yep, there is no
file named "access.mdb" there. Your file is named "dprdb.mdb".

Sometimes error messages really are that straight forward.

Solution: Okay, if you missed it on your directory listing, this may
not be as obvious to you as it seems like it should be. Change your
connection string to the correct file name.

Jeff

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Jeff said:
Your original posted error was:

I saw that too. I though he was just obscuring the name of his database. But
you could be correct.

In either case: good catch!

Bob

A P

Yes, I am accessing the same machine.

Mark
Bob Barrows said:
A better test would be to log onto the machine as the local IUSR account and
then try to access the folder. From your results, it looks like you've
granted permissions to a domain-level user. Is this machine the same machine
that your web server is running on?

Please go back and re-read the entire FAQ article I linked you to. If the
database is on a different machine from the machine that's running the web
server, then you have a whole different set of issues that are dealt with
here: http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

A P

Sorry Jeff but the "dprdb.mdb" is the actual access file, i just change it
for better understanding.

Jeff Cochran

Sorry Jeff but the "dprdb.mdb" is the actual access file, i just change it
for better understanding.

Okay, then the issue most likely is that the user attempting to access
the file (normally the IUSR account) can't find the file at the time
the connection is made. Provided the actual drive and path really is
c:\AccessDB (I saw posts where a Z: drive was mentioned...) then you
need to ensure that the user the connection is being made under (the
IUSR account in most circumstances) has at least CREATE and MODIFY
permission to the folder and file in question.

Keep in mind that the IUSR account is not part of the Everyone group,
and that if it really isn't on Z: and you just put that as a sample
path then the folder it really is in must have that access. If the
drive is mapped, keep in mind the permission is needed for the IUSR
account, which is normally a local account on the web server and not a
domain account (unless the web server is a DC), so any domain user
access to the shared/mapped drive is irrelevant.

Jeff

A P

Actually, i already simulated IUSR account to have a full control permission
but still the error arrive. As I've told on my part posts, drive Z is not a
network drive, its a local drive that I only assign as drive Z.