Minimum form size with grid bag layout

Marcin Rze¼nicki

Hi all,
Is there a way to specify minimum form size using grid bag? I set
minimum sizes on components I don't want to be resized below certain
size, but it does not seem to respect it whatsoever. I am not posting
code 'cause it is generated by Net Beans.

Knute Johnson

Marcin said:
Hi all,
Is there a way to specify minimum form size using grid bag? I set
minimum sizes on components I don't want to be resized below certain
size, but it does not seem to respect it whatsoever. I am not posting
code 'cause it is generated by Net Beans.

Play with my GridBagLayout tester program,

http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/gridbagtester.html

Use the sample layout #3 and right click on a component and set the
minimum size, then grab the lower right corner and squeeze the
components. You can get a good idea of how GBL works with minimum sizes
playing with it.

Marcin Rze¼nicki

Ok, I played with your app a little, but I must confess that I am none
the wiser. The re-sizable panel which you provided can be shrunk to
any size despite playing with min sizes of components belonging to it
and its own settings.

Knute Johnson

Marcin said:
Ok, I played with your app a little, but I must confess that I am none
the wiser. The re-sizable panel which you provided can be shrunk to
any size despite playing with min sizes of components belonging to it
and its own settings.

Yes you can always make the container smaller than the components it
holds. If you call pack() however it will shrink the components to
their preferred sizes. If you further shrink the container, the
components will shrink immediately to their minimum sizes.

If you wish to control the minimum size of a container with GBL, one way
is to set the preferred size of the components and call pack().

Marcin Rze¼nicki

Yes you can always make the container smaller than the components it
holds. If you call pack() however it will shrink the components to
their preferred sizes. If you further shrink the container, the
components will shrink immediately to their minimum sizes.

If you wish to control the minimum size of a container with GBL, one way
is to set the preferred size of the components and call pack().

Works like a charm, thanks.