mod_perl uploads

axel

Hi!

Gibt es eine Möglichkeit zu grosse Uploads abzubrechen und eine
sinnvolle Fehlermeldung an den Browser zu senden,
bevor die gesamten Upload Daten geparst werden?

Danke,
Axel

axel

Hi!

Gibt es eine Möglichkeit zu grosse Uploads abzubrechen und eine
sinnvolle Fehlermeldung an den Browser zu senden,
bevor die gesamten Upload Daten geparst werden?

Danke,
Axel

Sorry - I'll try it in english:
Is there a way to abort too big uploads before the whole stream gets
parsed
and send a meaningful message back to the client?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

axel said:
Sorry - I'll try it in english:
Is there a way to abort too big uploads before the whole stream gets
parsed
and send a meaningful message back to the client?

The CPAN module CGI::UploadEasy does that.

axel

The CPAN module CGI::UploadEasy does that.

Just tried your module but It shows the same behaviour as CGI.pm or
mod_perl:
If I upload a bigger file - the script runs until the whole file is
received and then
returns with:
Error
Post too large: Maxsize 300 KiB exceeded.
What I'm looking for is a way to return immediately after
checking Content-Length

xhoster

axel said:
Sorry - I'll try it in english:
Is there a way to abort too big uploads before the whole stream gets
parsed
and send a meaningful message back to the client?

Probably not from the Perl side. Often, the web server reads the entire
post before it hands it off to the CGI, and then gives the CGI a handle
onto the buffered data, rather a handle to read the data directly from the
network connection. So you very well may need to look for something
specific either to the server itself, or to the mod_perl aspect of the
server.

Xho

xhoster

Probably not from the Perl side. Often, the web server reads the entire
post before it hands it off to the CGI, and then gives the CGI a handle
onto the buffered data, rather a handle to read the data directly from
the network connection. So you very well may need to look for something
specific either to the server itself, or to the mod_perl aspect of the
server.

Actually, I don't think this is possible at all using a single http
connection. It seems the browser refuses to read any of the response until
the server first reads the post in its entirety. (This is why CGI reads
the entire post, just dumping it into /dev/null, when POST_MAX is
exceeded). The server could drop the connection as soon as it realizes the
post is going to be too large, but then the browser will just report a
generic connection problem, rather than any specific error message you
might want it to.

Xho

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

axel said:
Just tried your module but It shows the same behaviour as CGI.pm or
mod_perl:
If I upload a bigger file - the script runs until the whole file is
received

Yes, the whole request will be transmitted before you'll be able to
check content-length. Note that you asked about abortion before it gets
_parsed_, not before it's _transmitted_.

axel

Yes, the whole request will be transmitted before you'll be able to
check content-length. Note that you asked about abortion before it gets
_parsed_, not before it's _transmitted_.

Ok, my mistake, I ment _transmitted_.
But with modperl FilterConnectionHandler I thought it to
be possible to examine the header before the tranfer is done.
Unfortunately I can't get this kind of handler be called with my
configuration...
But if it is true that the browser doesn't accept a custom response
before the transfer is done I must use a simple reject.
Thanks,
Axel