ms licensing

Howard

I confused about MS licensing policies. If i have a sql server 2005
standard edition 5 CAL license and i hst a website with it. does it mean my
site can only have 5 concurrent visitors?

same question about windows server 2003 licensing

Thanks,

Howard

S. Justin Gengo

Howard,

Without going into the details because I don't take care of licensing at my
full time job I can tell you that we have a 5 CAL License and our web
servers host to many thousands of people at once. Way over 5 connections. To
clear this up you should really give microsoft a call. That's what customer
service is there for.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo
Web Developer / Programmer

Free code library:
http://www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Rob R. Ainscough

I doubt customer service will clear this up for him as they do their best to
sell you more CALs than you really need.

Howard, in a word you need One CAL -- and your still "legal". I contacted
MS and they did their best to explain it to me, but if you ask the write
questions you'll soon have them agreeing that one CAL is all that you need
for your situation. If your application is managing the connectivity then
all you need is the one CAL -- same with SQL Server. Only when you want to
allow users to connect directly to your SQL Server and or login to a Windows
Server (aka datamining/reporting) do you need to go with more than 1 CAL.

Like I said, MS will do their best to confuse you otherwise. Like I said,
just keep asking the right questions and you'll soon have them saying you
only need one CAL for you situation.

Rob.