MS Visual Studio 2005 Pro Ed

Dr T

Hi!

I downloaded MS Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, MS .NET
Framework SDK v2.0, and MS SQL Server 2005. Subsequently, I bought MS
Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition.

1) Are both the MS Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and the
MS Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition used to develop .ASP
applications?

2) Do I have to uninstall any of the software that I downloaded before
I can install the MS Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition?

Thank you!

Anthony (Tony) Rodriguez, DBA
(e-mail address removed)

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> 1) Are both the MS Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and the
!> MS Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition used to develop .ASP applications?

The VWD in VS 2005 Pro is exactly the same application as VWD Express,
but they are used to develop ASP.NET applications, not ASP applications.

re:
2) Do I have to uninstall any of the software that I downloaded before
I can install the MS Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition?

No. You don't have to uninstall the .NET Framework SDK v2.0 nor MS SQL Server 2005.
The .NET Framework itself will stay installed if you install VWD.

I would uninstall VWD Express, anyway.

You don't want over 1/2 a GB just taking up space for nothing,
since the exact same application is built into VS 2005 Pro.

The difference is that you'll have a host of other features
you didn't have whenyou only had VWD Espress.

Here's what VWD doesn't support when installed stand-alone :

Source Control
Local database development only ( can't modify db's remotely from the IDE )
No Class Designer
No Object Test Bench
No Crystal Reports ( you must use SQL Reporting Services )
No remote debugging ( local only )
No 64-bit Compiler Support
No Server Explorer ( servers node )
No Code profiling
No Static analysis analysis
No Unit testing
No Code coverage
No Project Management
No Test case management
No support for command-line Class Library ( must compile manually )
No development for Office programs

Of course, with VS 2005 Pro, you can also write Windows and Console programs
using VB.NET, C# and C++, which you couldn't write with VWD Express.