Visual Studio 2005

Guest

Hi Everybody.
I have my website developed in VS 2003. Now I want to upgrade my website to
VS 2005 and develop new web pages in a new environment. What steps should I
take to upgrade? I cannot find how to create web pages in VS 2005. May be I
should use Web Developer Express Edition?

Leon

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You have a couple of choices.

1. On both the MSDN site and the www.asp.net site, there is a web
applications projects download (asp.net links back to Microsoft). This
allows a 1.1 Framework model in 2.0

2. Upgrade the site.

To create a new website in VS 2005, you have to choose new >> website. New into the IDE.

Guest

Gregory, thanks for replying.
The problem is I do not see New Website in VS 2005.
Tell me how to get to New Website Menu item in VS 2005.

Leon

Juan T. Llibre

You don't have available :

"File", "New Web Site", from the main VS 2005 menu ?

You can also click on the "Create": "Website" link in the Start Page.

Guest

No, I don't. May be I have some kind of stripped down version. I got it with
MSDN subscription. May be I need to reinstall it?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
No, I don't.

That's odd.

re:
Maybe I have some kind of stripped down version.
I got it with MSDN subscription.

No. You either got Standard, Professional or Team System,
depending on the type of subscription you got.

They all do websites and have that option available.

Are you sure you installed VS 2005 and not VB 2005 ?
VB 2005 doesn't do websites and neither does C# 2005.

re:
Maybe I need to reinstall it?

You could try that, if it *is* VS 2005.

kreplech

Juan,
It would be helpful if you posted whatever conclusions/resolution
you've come to.
Thanks,
Krep

Juan T. Llibre

re:
It would be helpful if you posted whatever conclusions/resolution you've come to.

The conclusion I've reached is that Leon either had a faulty install,
or he didn't have VS 2005 installed but, instead, installed one of the language
versions which don't do websites, like VB 2005, C# 2005, or C++ 2005.

*All* the versions of VS 2005 I've installed have that menu option.

If he had a faulty install, reinstalling VS 2005 should get rid of it.

An easy, free, way to test would be to install Visual Web Developer Express 2005.

Juan,
It would be helpful if you posted whatever conclusions/resolution
you've come to.
Thanks,
Krep

kreplech

Well, we have four installs of VS2k5 developer and only one has New >>
Website or Create >> Website as an option. I'll be re-installing this
afternoon. I think I read somewhere this is due to a first-time run
config/wizard - and that would make sense as our IT guys installed the
3 screwy instances... more later...

Juan T. Llibre

Check "Tools", "Import and Export Settings".

Maybe someone configured VS 2005 for other development environments.
That'll be a lot easier than uninstalling/reinstalling.

Try resetting it for "Web Development Settings".