need bullet proof input validator

Mike Brind

Dave Anderson said:
Well, it certainly is relevant to my point. I had already recommended
parameterized stored procedures, and was merely making the point that,
since I know little about Access (other than the fact that it does not
have SPs), I could not offer a suggestion. I made that knowing full well
that concatenation is the problem.

It's not relevant to preventing SQL injection in Access/SQL Server. You
can use the Command object and parameter markers in your ASP page. No need
for stored procs/saved queries at all.

Victor

Well, the only reason why someone would put "%>" or "<%" in an input string is because
they are a baddie, so you'll want to ban their IP with extreme prejudice because it
makes good sense to do so.

Dave Anderson

Victor said:
Well, the only reason why someone would put "%>" or "<%" in an
input string is because they are a baddie, so you'll want to ban
their IP with extreme prejudice because it makes good sense to
do so.

Hypocrite.

Dave Anderson

Victor said:

"Hypocrite" is germane to the discussion because it directly addresses the
fact that you used both "<%" and "%>" while asserting there was no
legitimate justification for doing so. "Cupcake" is off-topic.

Victor

"Hypocrite" is germane to the discussion because it directly addresses the
fact that you used both "<%" and "%>" while asserting there was no
legitimate justification for doing so. "Cupcake" is off-topic.

Hey, Dave, unless you haven't noticed I'm not typing this into a form field where there
is no justifiable reason for those delimiters, I'm typing it into a newsgroup where
there is a justifiable reason for the deliminters.

And "Cupcake" is perfectly on-topic for your behavior, bucko.

Dave Anderson

Victor said:
Hey, Dave, unless you haven't noticed I'm not typing this into
a form field where there is no justifiable reason for those
delimiters, I'm typing it into a newsgroup where there is a
justifiable reason for the deliminters.

So you believe such strings are not legitimate uses for users who post to
this group via web interfaces?

And "Cupcake" is perfectly on-topic for your behavior, bucko.

How, exactly, does it relate to "need bullet proof input validator"?

SLH

dont you all just love these battles of wits from people with way too much
time on their hands?
hey while we're at it why dont we discuss the pros and cons of bottom or top
posting?
and why its fine for millions to top post in email, but when it comes to a
newsgroup conversation
it somehow becomes way too complicated to scroll to the bottom and read up!
LOL

or howzabout the REAL old timers that get all bent when you posy html
content to a newsgroup? now theres a funny one.
since theres not a server or client on the planet that has a problem with
html for the past 200 years!

people make me laugh

Mike Brind

Victor said:

Hey, Dave, unless you haven't noticed I'm not typing this into a form field where there
is no justifiable reason for those delimiters, I'm typing it into a newsgroup where
there is a justifiable reason for the deliminters.

If you had used Google groups or any of the other web interfaces to
Usenet rather than OE, and they subscribed to your suggested policy,
you wouldn't have been able to do so.

Mike Brind

SLH said:
Access does in fact have stored procedures.

Access does NOT in fact have stored procedures. It has saved queries.
Stored procedures are something else entirely.

SLH

ah yes... luckily for me you have a serious OCD problem and couldnt let that
go, even though you knew EXACTLY what i meant.

Mike Brind

ah yes... luckily for me you have a serious OCD problem and couldnt let
that go, even though you knew EXACTLY what i meant.

Oh, please. Get over yourself.

I corrected your factual inaccuracy for the benefit of others who come to
this group genuinely interested in learning something. They might not know
EXACTLY what you mean.

That kind of correction goes on all the time in this group, and other
technical groups where accuracy in terminology is important. No one else
gets touchy about it.

Victor

ah yes... luckily for me you have a serious OCD problem and couldnt let that
go, even though you knew EXACTLY what i meant.

If you can't behave like a professional, SLH, you have no business being on this group.