need help with client-side table behavior

PJ6

I have a table that changes its cell (input text) colors when their contents
have changed (actually on keypress) and shows a couple of buttons
automatically, UDPATE and CANCEL. This works partially, though detecting
enter and escape doesn't seem to work, or parhaps calling the button click
events directly doesn't (see below).

In addition to getting the ENTER and ESC keypresses to fire their
appropriate button clicks, I need to be able to collect information on which
cells have changed, so on the page loading again I can read this
information, perhaps from a hidden field, to use to update a database
server-side.

What would be the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Paul

<script language=javascript>
function GirdTextKeyPress(txtID, btnsContainerlID, btnUpdateID, btnCancelID)
{
var txt = document.getElementById(txtID);
txt.className = 'GridChanged';
var bc = document.getElementById(btnsContainerlID);
bc.style.display = 'inline';

var btnUpdate = document.getElementById(btnsContainerlID);
if (event.keyCode == 13)
{
event.returnValue=false;
event.cancelBubble = true;
btnUpdate.click();
}

var btnCancel = document.getElementById(btnCancelID)
if (event.keyCode == 61)
{
event.returnValue=false;
event.cancelBubble = true;