Need help with DetailsView

cgdev1

I have a web page with
- a DetailsView control (with a variety of controls)
- four text boxes
- a button

I'd like to be able to click the button and have some values
automatically copied to the fields within the DetailsView control.
But, I don't know how to access it.

I know that if it was while inserting, for example, I could use the
DetailsView1_ItemInserting routine, and I could access the field by
way of the "e" parameter

i.e.

e.Values["Name"] = "Bob";

However, I don't know how to access the field outside of the built in
routines.

*background/ultimate goal:
I have an administration page where I copy and paste a long string
into a text box. I then click the button to execute a routine that
parses out only the pieces I want out of this long string, and it then
pastes them in the other text boxes automatically. I then manually
copy each item from these text boxes and paste them into the text
boxes in the DetailsView. I'm looking for a shortcut so I can just
click on my Parse button and have each string go to their appropriate
boxes on the DetailsView directly.

Anyone know how I can do this? My parse routine works fine, I just
need to figure out the handle to the contols on the DetailsView.

Thanks!