Need help with DetailsView

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by cgdev1, Mar 5, 2007.

  1. cgdev1

    cgdev1 Guest

    I have a web page with
    - a DetailsView control (with a variety of controls)
    - four text boxes
    - a button

    I'd like to be able to click the button and have some values
    automatically copied to the fields within the DetailsView control.
    But, I don't know how to access it.

    I know that if it was while inserting, for example, I could use the
    DetailsView1_ItemInserting routine, and I could access the field by
    way of the "e" parameter

    i.e.

    e.Values["Name"] = "Bob";

    However, I don't know how to access the field outside of the built in
    routines.

    *background/ultimate goal:
    I have an administration page where I copy and paste a long string
    into a text box. I then click the button to execute a routine that
    parses out only the pieces I want out of this long string, and it then
    pastes them in the other text boxes automatically. I then manually
    copy each item from these text boxes and paste them into the text
    boxes in the DetailsView. I'm looking for a shortcut so I can just
    click on my Parse button and have each string go to their appropriate
    boxes on the DetailsView directly.

    Anyone know how I can do this? My parse routine works fine, I just
    need to figure out the handle to the contols on the DetailsView.

    Thanks!

    cgdev1, Mar 5, 2007