NET 1.1 in Visual Studio 2005?

Maris Janis Vasilevskis

Hi,

I have Visual Studio 2005.
My customer needs Web application in NET 1.1
My customer cannot upgrade to 2.0 because some server software is not compatible with it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Mahris

Guest

No problem...

Create your project as you would normally. VS 2005 will automatically add
references to the .Net 2.0 runtime.

In the solution explorer expand the References section for the project and
delete the .Net assemblies referenced there.

Next - right click the References folder and select Add Reference...

Click the Browse tab and navigate to c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\.
Here you'll find folders containing the assemblies for the various versions
of .Net installed on your machine. Navigate into the appropriate V1.1...
folder and select the DLL etc. that you need.

Chris
PS - I've not explored how to get the help catalog to filter on V1.1 only.
MSDN online may well have a 1.1-specific set of help; otherwise - use the
object browser to find what classes etc. are available in 1.1.

Jan Hyde

Maris Janis Vasilevskis <[email protected]>'s wild thoughts
were released on Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:12:54 +0300 bearing the
following fruit:
Hi,

I have Visual Studio 2005.
My customer needs Web application in NET 1.1
My customer cannot upgrade to 2.0 because some server software is not compatible with it.

Does that mean this 'server software' runs on .Net 1.1? If
so, installing 2.0 shouldn't effect it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Mahris

Jan Hyde (VB MVP)

Maris Janis Vasilevskis

It IS true.

The incompatible product is Metastorm e-Work at http://www.metastorm.com, versions up to 6.6.2

Some weeks ago, they released 6.6.3 stated compatible with NET 2.0, however, it requires serious changes in running applications, and cannot be installed now.

I do not see any sense in reporting to MS. e-Work is a complex product including NET compiler, I do not believe that MS will make any changes allowing compatibility.

Mahris

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I do not see any sense in reporting to MS.

Then, nothing will get done which could possibly correct the problem.

Really : the only way to get bus fixed is to report them.
If you don't report the bugs : don't complain.

Maris Janis Vasilevskis

I do not know whether my problem is a bug. If yes, I do not know whether it is MS or Metastorm bug.

And I really do not need the bug, if it is a bug, fixed after a year.
I need a solution or workaround for my problem, and I need it immediately.

Mahris

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I do not know whether my problem is a bug. If yes, I do not know whether it is MS or Metastorm bug.

Reporting the problem will help, regardless of whose bug it is.

re:
And I really do not need the bug, if it is a bug, fixed after a year.

Hmmm....the Product Feedback Center responds quite quickly.

Try it : http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/default.aspx

re:
I need a solution or workaround for my problem, and I need it immediately.

Can't help you there.
Maybe you could ask Metastorm ( if the problem is Metastorm's... ) ?

If the problem isn't Metastorm's, and is Microsoft's, the best way to attempt a fix is the PFC.
If MS doesn't hear about a problem, it can't fix it.

Jan Hyde

Maris Janis Vasilevskis <[email protected]>'s wild thoughts
were released on Thu, 30 Mar 2006 00:05:43 +0300 bearing the
following fruit:
It IS true.

The incompatible product is Metastorm e-Work at http://www.metastorm.com, versions up to 6.6.2

Some weeks ago, they released 6.6.3 stated compatible with NET 2.0, however, it requires serious changes in running applications, and cannot be installed now.

The don't install it? I assume you have 6.6.2 which doesn't
run on .Net 2.0 so would be unaffected by it?

I do not see any sense in reporting to MS. e-Work is a complex product including NET compiler, I do not believe that MS will make any changes allowing compatibility.

Mahris

Jan Hyde (VB MVP)

paul.york

Hi,

Just to give some feedback, I've been an e-Work consultant for the last
5 years :( with a .NET 1.1. and 2.0 background and we've came across
this problem before.

The problem is to do with Metastorm e-Work 6.6.2 being incompatible
with version 2.0 but 6.6.3 is an update that will work with .NET 2.0.
The changes in 6.6.3 mean that any single sign on mechanisms set up for
e-Work will require re plcing and any manual URL's you embedded in your
intranet or software relating to e-Work forms may need updating. The
web client for e-Work 6.6.3 has also been rewrote to be more scalable
but we haven't had any problems introducing it on client sites.

Hope this helps,

Paul.