.NET Generates JavaScript errors for all my DataGrids all the sudden. HELP >>>>>>

Andrzej Wegrzyn

Hi,

I had a portal that worked before, and over 5 months period JavaScript
errors started to show up on all forms where I have datagrids.

Using: IE 6.0, WIN XP, IIS 5.1, Framework 1.1

error: Expected ';'

The only JavaScript there is given to my by .NET:

<script language="javascript">
<!--
function __doPostBack(eventTarget, eventArgument) {
var theform;
if (window.navigator.appName.toLowerCase().indexOf("netscape") > -1) {
theform = document.forms["ZoneList:_ctl0"];
}
else {
theform = document.ZoneList:_ctl0;
}
theform.__EVENTTARGET.value = eventTarget.split("$").join(":");
theform.__EVENTARGUMENT.value = eventArgument;
theform.submit();
}
// -->
</script>

This is the datagrid:

<asp:DataGrid id="MyList" runat="server" width="55%"
BorderColor="#ffffff"
GridLines="none"
cellpadding="1"
cellspacing="0"
ItemStyle-CssClass="item"
HeaderStyle-ForeColor="white"
HeaderStyle-CssClass="GridHeader"
HeaderStyle-Height="19"
AlternatingItemStyle-CssClass="alternating"
AllowPaging="True"
OnPageIndexChanged="PageList"
PagerStyle-Mode="NumericPages"
PagerStyle-ForeColor="Black"
PagerStyle-HorizontalAlign="right"
PagerStyle-CssClass="pager"
PageSize="10"
AllowSorting="true"
OnSortCommand="SortCommand_OnClick"
AutoGenerateColumns="false"
DataKeyField="ZoneID">

<Columns>

<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:CheckBox id="Checkbox" Value="andy" runat="server" />
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>

<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label visible="false" id="ZoneID" runat="server" Text='<%#
DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "ZoneID") %>' />
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>

<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Zone Name" SortExpression="ZoneName">
<ItemTemplate>
"ZoneID") %>" class="regLink"><%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,
"ZoneName") %></a>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>

<asp:BoundColumn HeaderText="Internal Name" DataField="ZoneInternalName"
SortExpression="ZoneInternalName"/>
<asp:BoundColumn HeaderText="Date Created" DataField="DateCreated"
SortExpression="DateCreated"/>

</Columns>
</asp:DataGrid>

Please let me know if you have seen anything like this before.

Frank Wilson

Could you please post the HTML that is generated? I
suspect the anchor tag (<a href="Zone_view.aspx?
ZoneID ...) but I won't know until I can see the HTML.

Frank

John Saunders

Andrzej Wegrzyn said:
[...]

Did you either just upgrade to Framework 1.1, or did you just start using
"ZoneList", or has "ZoneList" recently become a container for your <form
runat="server"> tag?

This is the infamous "colon in a form name" bug in Framework 1.1. It happens
whenever you get a server form somewhere inside of a control implementing
INamingContainer (like "ZoneList"). ASP.NET has always put colons in control
names to disambiguate them. The bug is that ASP.NET in 1.1 has begun trying
to use the form name as a variable name. That doesn't work with colons in
the name...

There is no good workaround for this. There are several bad ones, and I'm
sure someone will contribute them.