New package for low-level network socket access

Kaszeta

Creare, Inc. is pleased to announce that we're releasing our
internally developed JavaSock API for reading and writing packets at
the IP, TCP, and ethernet frame levels (including some support for
802.11 radio packets on certain hardware) as Open Source software
under the Apache Version 2.0 license.

JavaSock provides a combination Java API and native code library
allowing Java programs to manipulate raw network packets through a
consistent and secure interface. The API supports applications
including packet filtering and packet sniffing.

This release of Javasock includes the API, native code libraries for
Win32 and Linux, and several demonstration applications implemented
using the library.

The Win32 support is release quality. The Linux support is still
beta.

Demonstration applications include:

1. A command line ping client implemented using JavaSock
2. A command line NetCat client that implements a netcat-like utility
written using JavaSock
3. JSScan, a GUI-based port scanning utility
4. JSSniff, a GUI-Based traffic-sniffing utility

The complete distribution is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/javasock/

Richard Kaszeta
Creare, Inc.