    of basic terms but assume you already know what these terms mean. I've also
    got a perl training DVD for beginners but even that doesn't give any
    explanation of the terms used in it. Appreciate any help here.

    tg, Jul 23, 2010

  2. You may want to start asking a NG that is actually still alive.
    comp.lang.perl has been rm-grouped over a decade ago and been replaced
    with the whole comp.lang.perl.* hirarchie

    As for your two actual issues:

    "Argument" is nothing specific to Perl but a very frequent and
    well-defined term in computer languages or compiler construction.
    It simply describes the values that are passed to a function or
    operation when being called.

    Conceptually there isn't much difference between "operators" and
    "functions" and "procedures". People tend to say operator when they are
    talking about build-in functions like +, *, >=, eq, ... because they are
    part of the perl language and can be writting in infix notation, but
    this is by no means a hard or deterministic criteria and it has as many
    exceptions as there are Perl programmers.
    You can find a complete list of the designers of Perl thought to be
    operators at "perldoc perlop".

    jue

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jul 24, 2010

  3. tg

    tg Guest

    ok thanks for your feedback - and yes this group is dead somewhat.

    tg, Aug 5, 2010