Newbie questions on import & cmd line run

gwhite

Hi,

I am a newbie running the latest pythonxy (2.7.2.1) & spyder and
python 2.7.2. I suspect my questions are mostly basic to python, and
not specific to Spyder or iPython.

Note: Up until now, I mainly used MATLAB, and thus need to de-program
myself appropriately.

I use Win7-64.

I wrote the following .py file:

-----------------
#! <what is supposed to go here?>
# Filename: newbie00.py

if __name__ == '__main__':
print 'This program was called from the \
system command line.'
print __name__ + '.py'
else:
print 'This program was imported on the \
Python command line.'
print __name__ + '.py'

-----------------

If I run from the system (win cmd) command, I get:

C:\engineer\engruser\python>python newbie00.py

This program was called from the system command line.
__main__.py

-----------------
If I hit the run button in Sypder, I get (in the iPython command
console):

In [70]: runfile(r'C:\engineer\engruser\python\newbie00.py', wdir=r'C:
\engineer\engruser\python')
This program was called from the system command line.
__main__.py

-----------------
If I import on the iPython command, I get:

In [71]: import newbie00
This program was imported on the Python command line.
newbie00.py

-----------------
If I import *again* on the iPython command, I get:

In [72]: import newbie00

In [73]:

<nothing that I can see>

-----------------
If I hit the run button (again) in Sypder, I get (in the iPython
command console):

In [73]: runfile(r'C:\engineer\engruser\python\newbie00.py', wdir=r'C:
\engineer\engruser\python')
UMD has deleted: newbie00
This program was called from the system command line.
__main__.py

-----------------------------------

Some questions:

1. If running from the system command line, or the Sypder "run"
button, "__name__" is "__main__" rather than "newbie00", as seen
above.

So, how would I get the file name newbie00.py in these two noted
cases? I mean, what other function do I use to get it? (This
functionality is something that occasionally came in handy back in my
m-file writing days. Perhaps I am wrong in anticipating such an
occasional need, but I would not know that yet.)

2. In python, there seems to be a distinction between running
something as if it is a system command of "C:\...>python myPyFile.py"
compared to simply entering that same ".py" file name directly on the
python console command line. In fact, the latter does not work unless
the somewhat lengthy ">>> runfile(r'C:\... wdir=r'C:\...) stuff is
entered (in iPython). (I mean, my old MATLAB habit of simply entering
">> mfilename" on the command line seems to be quite wrong in python.)

Is there a shortened syntax of running a .py from the python command
prompt, if not using a Spyder "run" button? Or should I always run as
if from the system prompt? That is, dispense with the MATLAB-like
"run from MATLAB/python command line" bias I may be holding.

3. In injecting my old MATLAB bias of running via the command line
">> mfilename", I tried a tweak of ">>>import newbie00". That "sort
of" worked, but only the first time.

Why did the subsequent run of ">>>import newbie00" print nothing? I'm
just trying to understand how python works.

4. The final case shown of hitting the Spyder run button included
this:

UMD has deleted: newbie00

What does that mean? I noted that after this "automatic" deletion, I
could do the ">>>import newbie00" once again and get the print. (I
did not show that above.)

5. I think #4 implies an import can be removed. (Yes/No?) I am not
sure why that would be desired, but I will ask how to remove an
import, or to "refresh" the run, of that is the appropriate question.

I think I saw someplace where a .pyc file is created on an initial run
and subsequently run instead of the .py. I'm not sure if that applies
here, but if related, I guess an auxiliary question is how to easily
force the .py to run rather than the .pyc?

6. Perhaps peripherally related to getting a running script/function/
module name, is getting a "call listing" of all the functions (and
modules) called by a .py program. How would I get that? I only ask
as it comes in handy if one distributes a program. I mean, you only
give people what they actually need.

-----------
Advance thanks to any one who answers any of my questions. I am sure
they appear from misguided to rudimentary in character. I'm don't
claim to be a programmer; I did okay with MATLAB. I'm trying to
bootstrap here, and appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Greg

Steven D'Aprano

#! <what is supposed to go here?>
# Filename: newbie00.py

"Supposed to"? Nothing -- it is completely optional.

#! ("hash-bang") lines currently do nothing on Windows machines, they are
just comments. However, on Unix and Linux machines (and Macintosh?) they
are interpreted by the shell (equivalent to cmd.exe or command.com), in
order to tell the shell what interpreter to use to execute the program if
you run it directly. It is common to use something like:

#!/usr/bin/env python

but I stress that this is completely optional, and doesn't do anything on
Windows.

if __name__ == '__main__':
print 'This program was called from the \
system command line.'
print __name__ + '.py'
else:
print 'This program was imported on the \
Python command line.'
print __name__ + '.py'

-----------------

If I run from the system (win cmd) command, I get:

C:\engineer\engruser\python>python newbie00.py

This program was called from the system command line. __main__.py

The magic variable "__name__" is special in Python. When you run a Python
module as a script from the command line, it gets set to "__main__". Note
that there is no such file "__main__.py" (unless you have happened to
create one yourself).

When you import a module, rather than run it, __name__ gets set to the
actual filename of the module, minus the file extension.

-----------------
If I hit the run button in Sypder, I get (in the iPython command
console):

In [70]: runfile(r'C:\engineer\engruser\python\newbie00.py', wdir=r'C:
\engineer\engruser\python')
This program was called from the system command line. __main__.py

I'm not sure what Spyder is. Is it part of iPython? You may need to
consult the iPython or Spyder docs to find out exactly what tricks it
plays in its interactive console.

-----------------
If I import on the iPython command, I get:

In [71]: import newbie00
This program was imported on the Python command line. newbie00.py

In this case, __name__ is set to the module name (the file name less the
file extension). Your script adds the .py at the end.

-----------------
If I import *again* on the iPython command, I get:

In [72]: import newbie00

In [73]:

<nothing that I can see>

That is correct. Python modules are only executed *once*, the first time
they are imported. From then on, additional imports refer back to a
cached module object.

When you say "import newbie00", the (highly simplified!) process is this:

* Python looks in sys.modules for the name "newbie00". If it finds
something in the cache (usually a module object), it fetches that thing
and assigns it to the variable "newbie00", and the import process is
complete.

* But if it doesn't find anything in the cache, Python searches the
locations listed in sys.path for a module, package, or library. That
could mean any of:

- newbie00.py (source code)
- newbie00.pyc (compiled byte-code)
- newbie00.pyo (compiled optimized byte-code)
- newbie00.pyw (Windows only)
- newbie00.dll (Windows only C library)
- newbie00.so (Linux and Unix C library)

as well as others (e.g. packages).

* If no module is found, Python raises an error, otherwise the first
found module is used.

* If a compiled module (e.g. newbie00.pyc) is found, and is no older than
the source code (newbie00.py), then Python uses the pre-compiled file.

(If the compiled module is older than the source module, it is ignored.)

* Otherwise Python parses the newbie00.py source code, compiles it to
byte-code, and writes it to the file newbie00.pyc so that the next time
the import will be faster.

* At this point, Python now has a compiled chunk of Python byte-code.
It then sets the special global variable __name__ to the file name (less
extension), and executes that code.

* If no fatal error occurs, Python now bundles the results of the
executed code (any functions, classes, variables, etc.) into a module
object, stores the module object in the cache sys.modules for next time,
and finally assigns it to the name "newbie00".

There is a *lot* that goes on the first time you import a module, which
is why Python tries really hard to avoid running modules unless you
explicitly ask it to. So "import newbie00" only *executes* the code once
per Python session. Subsequent imports use the cached version.

The process is quite different when you run a Python module as a script.
In this case, the .pyc file (if any) is ignored, the script is parsed and
compiled from scratch every single time, the magic variable __name__ is
set to "__main__", and the script is executed every single time.

[...]
Some questions:

1. If running from the system command line, or the Sypder "run" button,
"__name__" is "__main__" rather than "newbie00", as seen above.

So, how would I get the file name newbie00.py in these two noted cases?

The special variable "__file__" is set to the filename:
'/usr/lib/python2.6/string.pyc'

Note that __file__ will usually be set to the full path of the file. To
extract just the file name:
'string.pyc'

To ignore the file extension, use this:
('string', '.pyc')

[...]
2. In python, there seems to be a distinction between running something
as if it is a system command of "C:\...>python myPyFile.py" compared to
simply entering that same ".py" file name directly on the python console
command line. In fact, the latter does not work unless the somewhat
lengthy ">>> runfile(r'C:\... wdir=r'C:\...) stuff is entered (in
iPython). (I mean, my old MATLAB habit of simply entering ">>
mfilename" on the command line seems to be quite wrong in python.)

That is correct. The Python interactive interpreter is not intended to be
a full-blown shell. iPython is, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a
shorter version of the runfile(full pathname) stuff, but I don't know
what it is.

Is there a shortened syntax of running a .py from the python command
prompt, if not using a Spyder "run" button? Or should I always run as
if from the system prompt? That is, dispense with the MATLAB-like "run
from MATLAB/python command line" bias I may be holding.

Normally I would say "always run it from the system prompt", but that may
be because I don't know iPython and/or Spyder.

Another alternative is to write a "main function" in your script:

# Filename newbie01.py
def main():
print("Doing stuff here...")

if __name__ == '__main__':
main()
else:
print("importing here")

Then you can do this:
Doing stuff here...

That would be my preference. Your mileage may vary.

3. In injecting my old MATLAB bias of running via the command line ">>
mfilename", I tried a tweak of ">>>import newbie00". That "sort of"
worked, but only the first time.

Why did the subsequent run of ">>>import newbie00" print nothing? I'm
just trying to understand how python works.

Because modules are executed only the first time they are imported. See
above.

4. The final case shown of hitting the Spyder run button included this:

UMD has deleted: newbie00

What does that mean? I noted that after this "automatic" deletion, I
could do the ">>>import newbie00" once again and get the print. (I did
not show that above.)

That looks like a trick specific to Spyder and/or iPython.

5. I think #4 implies an import can be removed. (Yes/No?) I am not
sure why that would be desired, but I will ask how to remove an import,
or to "refresh" the run, of that is the appropriate question.

Hmmm. Well, yes, technically they can, but my recommendation is that you
don't, because doing so can lead to some ... interesting ... hard-to-
debug problems.

But now that you have chosen to ignore me *wink*, you can delete the
module so as to allow it to be refreshed like this:

del newbie00 # delete the version you are using
import sys # only needed once
del sys.modules['newbie00'] # delete it from the cache

Now, as far as Python is concerned, newbie00 has never been imported.
Probably.

Another way is with the built-in reload() function:

import newbie00
# ... make some edits to the newbie00 source file
reload(newbie00)
# ... now the changes will show up

but be warned that there are some traps to using reload(), so much so
that in Python 3 it has been relegated to the "imp" (short for "import")
module, where it is less tempting to newbies.

I think I saw someplace where a .pyc file is created on an initial run
and subsequently run instead of the .py. I'm not sure if that applies
here, but if related, I guess an auxiliary question is how to easily
force the .py to run rather than the .pyc?

No, see above: .pyc files are only created when you *import* a module,
and they are never used when you *run* a module.

6. Perhaps peripherally related to getting a running script/function/
module name, is getting a "call listing" of all the functions (and
modules) called by a .py program. How would I get that? I only ask as
it comes in handy if one distributes a program. I mean, you only give
people what they actually need.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. Can you explain in more
detail?

Welcome on board with Python, I hope you have fun!

alex23

1.  If running from the system command line, or the Sypder "run"
button, "__name__" is "__main__" rather than "newbie00", as seen
above.

So, how would I get the file name newbie00.py in these two noted
cases?

You can get it from the file name:

import os.path
name = os.path.split(__file__)[-1]

However, you might find it better in the long term to always separate
your code into import-only modules and execute-only scripts. It avoids
this issue and others.
2.  Is there a shortened syntax of running a .py from the python command
prompt, if not using a Spyder "run" button?  Or should I always run as
if from the system prompt?  That is, dispense with the MATLAB-like
"run from MATLAB/python command line" bias I may be holding.

Generally, the correct way of running Python code from the interpreter
is 'import <module>'. You might find this pattern useful:

In your module:

def main(): # code goes here

if __name__ == '__main__': main()

Then from the interpreter:

import mymodule; mymodule.main()
3.  In injecting my old MATLAB bias of running via the command line
">> mfilename", I tried a tweak of  ">>>import newbie00".  That "sort
of" worked, but only the first time.

Why did the subsequent run of ">>>import newbie00" print nothing?  I'm
just trying to understand how python works.

The import mechanism only imports a module once, as all files use the
same module instance (they're effectively singletons). This happens
with repeated imports in one module as well as across various modules
during a single execution. So re-importing a module does nothing; to
force a re-import, you can use the reload() function, although that
doesn't guarantee updating all references. For example:

import mymodule
from mymodule import myfunc

# modify myfunc code externally

reload(mymodule)
myfunc() # original reference
mymodule.myfunc() # newly modified function

I don't think that only-one-import is true for scripts that are run
from the command line, though. They can exist as both '__main__' and
their actual name in the module table. (Someone please correct me if
this understanding is wrong...)
4.  The final case shown of hitting the Spyder run button included
this:

UMD has deleted: newbie00

What does that mean?  I noted that after this "automatic" deletion, I
could do the ">>>import newbie00" once again and get the print.  (I
did not show that above.)

Spyder provides a convenience feature to force the reimport of user-
defined modules, like your newbie00. After execution, it appears to
drop all references to your module, forcing a garbage collection. As
its no longer loaded, a subsequent import works.
5.  I think #4 implies an import can be removed.  (Yes/No?)  I am not
sure why that would be desired, but I will ask how to remove an
import, or to "refresh" the run, of that is the appropriate question.

reload(<module>)

However, the only way to guarantee you've updated all references
correctly is to close the interpreter and re-start it. For this kind
of development process of modifying code and seeing the changes, it's
probably better to look into writing tests instead. These will always
be run in isolation, so you're guaranteed of having the correct
environment each time.
I think I saw someplace where a .pyc file is created on an initial run
and subsequently run instead of the .py.  I'm not sure if that applies
here, but if related, I guess an auxiliary question is how to easily
force the .py to run rather than the .pyc?

A .pyc file won't be created for .py files that are run directly, only
for those that are imported. You really shouldn't need to worry about
this, though. It's an implementation detail that isn't influencing the
issues you're seeing. However, if you do ever need to do it, you can
stop .pyc files by passing the -B flag to the interpreter, or by
setting the environment variable PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE.
6.  Perhaps peripherally related to getting a running script/function/
module name, is getting a "call listing" of all the functions (and
modules) called by a .py program.  How would I get that?  I only ask
as it comes in handy if one distributes a program.  I mean, you only
give people what they actually need.

Perhaps this might be of use: http://pycallgraph.slowchop.com/

Hope this helps.

Ross Ridge

Steven D'Aprano said:
#! ("hash-bang") lines currently do nothing on Windows machines, they are
just comments. However, on Unix and Linux machines (and Macintosh?) they
are interpreted by the shell (equivalent to cmd.exe or command.com), in
order to tell the shell what interpreter to use to execute the program if
you run it directly.

They're actually interpreted by the kernel so that they'll work when
run from any program.

Ross Ridge

gwhite

[...]

Sypder is the IDE for pythonxy. Since some other newbies here at my
office decided to go down the pythonxy route, I wanted to be on the
same page with them. All of us were MATLAB users. We're engineers,
not programmers.
[...]

okay.

[...]

Thanks for the note that iPython is a "full-blown shell."
Normally I would say "always run it from the system prompt", but that may
be because I don't know iPython and/or Spyder.

Sure. I actually think it is better upon some reflection. I need to
un-MATLAB myself.
Another alternative is to write a "main function" in your script:

# Filename newbie01.py
def main():
    print("Doing stuff here...")

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()
else:
    print("importing here")

Then you can do this:

Doing stuff here...>>> newbie01.main()

Doing stuff here...

That would be my preference. Your mileage may vary.

Neat. I'll try that for case's I think it makes sense for. I'll play
with it some.
Because modules are executed only the first time they are imported. See
above.

That looks like a trick specific to Spyder and/or iPython.

It happens when I have previously done the import on the iPython cmd
line.

After that is cleared out, iPython does not give that message again.

It must be doing this to make sure the version in the Spyder editor
window is the one being executed, or something like that.

Incidentally, it makes no difference if I delete the .pyc file made by
the import newbie00 command before running via Spyder/iPython. Maybe
that means the import version in compiled and in memory (or maybe what
you called "cached module object"). I just don't know. But I think
it makes some kind of sense to clear things out.

[...]

Oh, on reflection, I think I am MATLAB biasing again. The rudimentary
method is that there there is an "m-file per function." Those are
then called as inline commands. They are not "imported." Basically,
it might be a pain to know for sure every one of the functions you
called. In MATLAB, if I want to send someone a "program," I also need
to know all the functions it calls outside the "standard package." It
isn't obvious given that they don't need to be "imported."

But I think the import method with python may make things much more
obvious. So I can relax a bit.

I was meaning like this:

http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/depfun.html
Welcome on board with Python, I hope you have fun!

Thanks, Steven! Thank you for spending your valuable time explaining
things to me.

gwhite

1.  If running from the system command line, or the Sypder "run"
button, "__name__" is "__main__" rather than "newbie00", as seen
above.
So, how would I get the file name newbie00.py in these two noted
cases?

You can get it from the file name:

    import os.path
    name = os.path.split(__file__)[-1]

However, you might find it better in the long term to always separate
your code into import-only modules and execute-only scripts. It avoids
this issue and others.

Thanks, and yes, I am starting to see your point.
Generally, the correct way of running Python code from the interpreter
is 'import <module>'. You might find this pattern useful:

In your module:

    def main(): # code goes here

    if __name__ == '__main__': main()

Then from the interpreter:

    import mymodule; mymodule.main()

I am going to play with the idea.

[...]

I think I mostly need to revise my tact. Some of these questions came
from my MATLAB-centric way of thinking, and I am unlearning that.
A .pyc file won't be created for .py files that are run directly, only
for those that are imported. You really shouldn't need to worry about
this, though. It's an implementation detail that isn't influencing the
issues you're seeing. However, if you do ever need to do it, you can
stop .pyc files by passing the -B flag to the interpreter, or by
setting the environment variable PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE.

Perhaps this might be of use:http://pycallgraph.slowchop.com/

I was thinking along the lines of this, should you remotely care:

http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/depfun.html

But the more I think of it, the difference between scripts/programs,
and modules/functions in python make this much less of an issue than I
had thought.

In MATLAB, there is no important distinction between them, so I was
probably misguided with the concern/question. As I examine it, the
nature of python sort makes this one take care of itself to a large
degree. I mean to say, "imports" in python are obvious. There is no
"import" corollary in MATLAB. Let the unlearning begin.
Hope this helps.

It does. Thanks for your help, Alex. It is much appreciated.