newbie question: Compiler relocation ??? What is that?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_J=F8rgensen?=

Hi,

I'm trying to learn a opensource program written in C++. I compiled
everything with a ./Allwmake script and turned on debug information by
setting an environment variable. I only partly works - Some of the files
still don't have debug information included (I want to debug into the
code with ddd / gdb).

----

I first got this reply:

1)
I guess there are still some .o or .so files lingering around which were
not properly touched by your Allwmake. Use the find-command to find all
..o and .so files in your installation that were created BEFORE your own
building session and remove them. Then rebuild.

Then I got this:

2)
This looks like a problenm with compiler relocation. I usually build
mine into /usr/tmp, which makes it easier, but you should be able to
easily build your own compiler. You can download gcc-4.1.1 source from
one of the gcc sites. Then, remove the compiler from
~/(program_name)/linux/gcc-4.1.1 (just delete the directory + I am
assuming you're using linux) and build your own using the following steps:

cd ~/(program_name)
mkdir linuxSrc
cd linuxSrc

Copy the compiler tar pack here (if you cannot find it, pls let me know
and I will leave one for you somewhere convenient).

tar xzf gcc-4.1.1.tar.gz
mkdir gcc-4.1.1-obj
cd gcc-4.1.1-obj
.../gcc-4.1.1/configure --prefix=~/(program_name)/linux/gcc-4.1.1
--enable-languages=c,c++ --enable-shared

Now build it:

gmake bootstrap

and install it:

gmake install

You can now delete the directories in ~/(program_name)/linuxSrc

------

I don't understand anything of answer number 2.... So what is "compiler
relocation" - and gmake???

Best regards
Martin Jørgensen

Victor Bazarov

Martin said:
I'm trying to learn a opensource program written in C++. I compiled
[..]
I don't understand anything of answer number 2.... So what is
"compiler relocation" - and gmake???

'gmake' is a GNU make utility. Please ask in 'gnu.utils.help' about it.
Your problem doesn't seem to be of the "C++ language" kind. Your query
is therefore off-topic here. Try the newsgroup for your OS after you
tried "gnu.*".

Marcus Kwok

Martin J?rgensen said:
2)
This looks like a problenm with compiler relocation. I usually build
mine into /usr/tmp, which makes it easier, but you should be able to
easily build your own compiler. You can download gcc-4.1.1 source from
one of the gcc sites. Then, remove the compiler from
~/(program_name)/linux/gcc-4.1.1 (just delete the directory + I am
assuming you're using linux) and build your own using the following steps:
[elided]

Victor told you what gmake is. "Compiler relocation" seems to be how to
move your compiler installation to a different directory, the details of
which are also OT for this group.