Newbie question.

MN

Hello -

I'm trying to add a wsdl file as a web reference but I continue to receive a
download dialog box. I've never seen this behavior before so I'm beginning
to wonder if there is something that I'm doing wrong on my end with adjusting
any proxy settings on my local machine? Is that necessary? I've tried
multiple different ways with accessing that wsdl file but continue to get
that same message.

Any help would be appreciated.
MN

Dan Rogers

Hi Mn,

What steps are you taking to add this web reference? Are you using
add-web-reference, typing in the service URL and letting the tooling
discover the WSDL? Or are you browsing for a local file - the WSDL file.

You should be able to add a web reference from a WSDL file you download as
long as that WSDL has a complete Ports section.

Is the server that is hosting the application an ASP.NET web service?

Regards

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation
--------------------

MN

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your thoughts. To answer your question, I've merely attempted to
directly as the web reference from the Solution Explorer by typing in the
path directly and trying to locate it that way. It does find it but not in
the way I want it to with the download msg.

As I read through the WSDL, a port section does exist. Does that need to be
plural as I thought that didn't matter originally?

As for the server, at this point, I'm unsure if it is an ASP.NET web
service. I have tried to reach the same path and pull an .asmx extension
without any success.

Any advice would be appreciate for this newbie.

Thanks,
MN

Dan Rogers

Instead of trying to do an add from solution explorer, right click on the
"references" node under your expanded project in solution explorer. Select
"add web reference" - and then choose how you are going to get the web
reference. If the service is URL addressable, you can type in the URL for
the service. If the service is registered in the global or a local UDDI
server, you can select the UDDI server and then find the service that way.
If you have a local copy of the WSDL file, then use the browse button that
lets you directly read a WSDL file.

There doesn't need to be a ports section in the WSDL file, as this just
gives you the server location and end point connection string required. If
this isn't in there, you'll have to set the URL property on the generated
proxy to be the endpoint location for the web service.

I hope this helps

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation
--------------------

MN

I have exhausted all options that have been included as for suggestions. The
only result I'm getting is being able to download it and put it into an
Inetpub directory to interface to though I have not successfully be able to
use the methods being exposed in the WSDL file.

I suppose that since they're not running .NET on their side, that shouldn't
be a problem or is it not possible to add the web reference through .NET
across the web if they aren't running it.

Thoughts are appreciated at this point.

Thanks,
MN

Dan Rogers

Well, if they aren't running ASP.net on their side, you may have issues
when you try to call their service if this is indeed an ASP.net
application. However, there are many cases where you'll find that people
provided you a WSDL file via some means other than via their web service
endpoint.

Good luck

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation