Newbie Struggling with Terminology and Theories

Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello there,

I'm new to Java. I'm really struggling and getting confused about things I am looking into.

OK, I am evaluating systems to integrate with our current system at work. We need to use JDBC type 4.

Now to use JDBC type 4 do you have to install this within a Java Virtual Machine? And in-turn, does the Java VM have to be running on JDK? Which in turn has to be running on a J2EE server?!? See how I am getting confused here!

Also, are glassfish and tomcat types of J2EE servers? Can glassfish and tomcat utilise the JDBC type 4 drivers themselves within their own VM's? Or in-order to use the JDBC Type 4 does J2EE HAVE to be present?

Or is it true to say that glassfish and tomcat run on the J2EE environment meaning that JDK is present and there a JVM is present....hence the JDBC type 4 can be used regardless?

Its very confusing all this! :-(

any help would be great to clear this mess up. My head is going to blow!

regards
Jp

Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
arch.jpg

above is an image of our proposed system. I know it isn't the best solution, but we are just evaluating different routes at the moment.

We have to use the JDBC driver type 4 to connect to our IDMS via TCP/IP from the web (using TYPO3). I know that this is probably not the best system, but I have to evaluate all possible routes. The problem lies in converting the PHP to Java - hence the PHP-Java bridge. Can you see where my questions originate from now?

I don't understand whether the JDK lies within the J2EE environment, or whether J2EE is needed or not? I have read that the PHP-Java bridge allows PHP to run in any J2EE environment and vice-versa. The bit i dont understand is that apache tomcat is the choice of server - can this be replaced by the J2EE server?

If you could help you wouldnt believe how much of a massive help you're being.

Thanks in advance,
Jp