No module named pyExcelerator Error

susan

Hi,
I'm new of Python, and this problem stucked me whole day but can't be
solved.

I use python 2.4.3, which is download from cygwin packages. Then I
downloaded pyexcelerator-0.5.3a, unzip it,

$ python ./pyExcelerator/setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_py
package init file 'pyExcelerator/__init__.py' not found (or not a
regular file)
copying pyExcelerator/setup.py -> build/lib/pyExcelerator
package init file 'pyExcelerator/__init__.py' not found (or not a
regular file)
running install_lib
copying build/lib/pyExcelerator/setup.py -> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-
packages/pyE
xcelerator
byte-compiling /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pyExcelerator/setup.py
to setup.
pyc

But 'pyExcelerator/__init__.py' is absolutely there, I don't know why
I got the warning. Then I tried to import pyExcelerator,Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named pyExcelerator

anybody can tell me where's wrong please? Thanks in advance!

John Machin

Hi,
I'm new of Python, and this problem stucked me whole day but can't be
solved.

I use python 2.4.3, which is download from cygwin packages.

Is your Python installation working properly for you with other
things, or is installing pyExcelerator the first thing that you have
tried?
Then I
downloaded pyexcelerator-0.5.3a, unzip it,

Is that "5" a typo? The latest version is 0.6.3a
$ python ./pyExcelerator/setup.py install

Try this instead:
$ cd pyExcelerator
$ python ./setup.py install

i.e. do what the pyExcelerator README tells you to do.
"""
0x0003. Installation.
--------------------
As usually: python ./setup.py install
"""
This may make a positive difference; it can't be worse.

HTH,
John

Samuel Karl Peterson

Hi,
I'm new of Python, and this problem stucked me whole day but can't be
solved.
[snip]

anybody can tell me where's wrong please? Thanks in advance!

What are the contents of sys.path from an interactive prompt? Have
you tried the official windows Python? Is there a reason you need to
use the cygwin Python?

susan

Is your Python installation working properly for you with other
things, or is installingpyExceleratorthe first thing that you have
tried?

Is that "5" a typo? The latest version is 0.6.3a

Try this instead:
$ cdpyExcelerator
$ python ./setup.py install

i.e. do what thepyExceleratorREADME tells you to do.
"""
0x0003. Installation.
--------------------
As usually: python ./setup.py install
"""
This may make a positive difference; it can't be worse.

HTH,
John

Dear John,

Thank you so much! I tried as you said, finally it works. You are
right, the version should be 0.6.3a.
I still wonder why my way didn't work. I think maybe there's some hard
code of installation directory, hence, installation won't be succesful
if the directory is not exactly the same as the one in README.

cheers,

--
Sam Peterson
skpeterson At nospam ucdavis.edu

Hi Sam,
There's no any special reason I use cygwin python, I just feel it's
easy and convinent to download and install.
Do you have any better suggestion?

Gabriel Genellina

I still wonder why my way didn't work. I think maybe there's some hard
code of installation directory, hence, installation won't be succesful
if the directory is not exactly the same as the one in README.

It doesn't matter the directory name, what matters is that you run the
script from the install dir (where setup.py resides) and not from other
place.