No Threads supports in ActivePerl?

Yash

I have installed ActivePerl5.6.1.635-MSWin32-x86 on my Windows 2000
machine.
If I run the following program, ....
use Thread ;

$thr = Thread->new(\&sub1);
$thr2 = Thread->new(\&sub1);

sub sub1

..... I get the following message:
This perl was built for "ithreads", which currently does not support
Thread.pm.
Run "perldoc Thread" for more information at C:\perltest\thtest.pl
line 4.

If this is the case, is there an alternative I could use to take
advantage of a multiprocessor system?
Or is there a different build of ActivePerl that I should be using?

Thanks

Bob Walton

Yash said:
I have installed ActivePerl5.6.1.635-MSWin32-x86 on my Windows 2000
machine.
If I run the following program, ....
use Thread ;

$thr = Thread->new(\&sub1);
$thr2 = Thread->new(\&sub1);

sub sub1

.... I get the following message:
This perl was built for "ithreads", which currently does not support
Thread.pm.
Run "perldoc Thread" for more information at C:\perltest\thtest.pl
line 4.

If this is the case, is there an alternative I could use to take
advantage of a multiprocessor system?
Or is there a different build of ActivePerl that I should be using?

Try upgrading to Perl 5.8 and:

use threads;

and read up:

perldoc perlthrtut
perldoc threads
perldoc Thread

etc. Note that the Thread model is not installed in Perl by default,
but, on Win32, the ithreads model is always present for Perl 5.8. You
probably don't really want to fool around with threads in Perl 5.6
(i.e., don't waste your time).