Not totally Javascript but...

Bill H

On one of the websites I am developing I am using a javascript menu
routine (downloaded from http://www.dynamicdrive.com ) that shows
menu links as images over the rest of the page text using DIV layers.
The problem I have run into, on IE 5 & IE 6 the images end up behind
form elements that are on the page, where in IE 7 they are infront of
the form element as they should be. Has anyone ever come across this?

To see what I mean, go to http://64.72.73.227 and use the menu on the
left to go to the toolbox, then when it is on the screen, try the
menus and if you have 5 or 6 you will see that the menu images are
behind the drop down box.

Any ideas are appreciated

Bill H

TriFuFoos

If I'm not mistaken,

the problem you're having is because the drop down box is an element
that is rendered last by the browser.
As a result, a div will always show under it even if you try playing
with the z-index.

I think I saw a work around in the past (aka hack), if you put an
Iframe under your div, and make
both the IFrame and div to be the same size, this will not make the
IFrame noticable but will be able
to allow your divs to show above your Drop Down box.

IFrame elements are able to be painted above drop down boxes, and
since the div is ontop of the IFrame,
it should give you the effect you're looking for.

HTH

David Mark

If I'm not mistaken,

the problem you're having is because the drop down box is an element
that is rendered last by the browser.
As a result, a div will always show under it even if you try playing
with the z-index.

I think I saw a work around in the past (aka hack), if you put an

It is a definite hack.
Iframe under your div, and make
both the IFrame and div to be the same size, this will not make the
IFrame noticable but will be able
to allow your divs to show above your Drop Down box.

Assuming you can make that happen consistently, it will fix the
problem. See the recent discussion of this subject.
IFrame elements are able to be painted above drop down boxes, and
since the div is ontop of the IFrame,
it should give you the effect you're looking for.

A better idea is to use callbacks to hide the select element(s) while
the menus are displayed.

David Mark

On one of the websites I am developing I am using a javascript menu
routine (downloaded from http://www.dynamicdrive.com) that shows

Don't download scripts from that site. Most of them are awful.
menu links as images over the rest of the page text using DIV layers.
The problem I have run into, on IE 5 & IE 6 the images end up behind
form elements that are on the page, where in IE 7 they are infront of
the form element as they should be. Has anyone ever come across this?

Yes. It was just discussed here yesterday.
To see what I mean, go tohttp://64.72.73.227and use the menu on the
left to go to the toolbox, then when it is on the screen, try the
menus and if you have 5 or 6 you will see that the menu images are
behind the drop down box.

I threw it a "curve" and used Firefox. No menus appear and there is
no way to get to the content in the menus. This is one of the worst
ones I have seen.

Try this:

http://code.google.com/p/nicemenus/

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

If I'm not mistaken,

You're correct, to a certain extent.
the problem you're having is because the drop down box is an element
that is rendered last by the browser.
As a result, a div will always show under it even if you try playing
with the z-index.

AFAIK only with Trident, i.e. in Windows-IE-based UAs. Other layout
engines do not have this bug because they do not use Windows' controls.

PointedEars